Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Mail store folders on my mac?

I have several "ON MY MAC" folders in Mail. I know that inbox folders are stored in ~/Library/Mail but where are the "ON MY MAC" folders stored?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:04 AM

9 replies

Dec 8, 2012 10:45 PM in response to 4thSpace

On both of my machines running OS X Mountain Lion, any user created local mailboxes are stored at that address, mixed in with the other mailboxes for all the accounts. Beyond asking are you sure these mailboxes you seek are in face "On My Mac" and saying to look in each folder (hidden and not hidden, but don't touch/delete/move anything) in ~/Library/Mail/, I don't know what else to say as that is where I observe all 'On My Mac' mailboxes to exist. If they exist, they will be in that folder somewhere.

Dec 8, 2012 10:52 PM in response to stuartj257

Ah - I see them now and inside Finder. They are in the V2. My local folder structure looks like this:

Folder1

Folder2

Folder3

--SubFolder1

--SubFolder2

----SubFolder1

----SubFolder2

--SubFolder3

--SubFolder4

and even more nested than that. In V2/Mailboxes/Mail Archive.mbox, I did see the three root folders earlier when you first posted that path. I thought maybe Mail stopped archiving the folders and they were moved, since none of the sub folders were there. Then I clicked Folder3 and all of the sub folders are there. I wasn't expecting them to be nested in the file system.

Where does Mail store folders on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.