Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate albums in album view

Hi,

Im sure this question has been asked before, but I cant find out so here goes.

I have upgraded to iTunes 11, and so far seems much better than iTunes 10!. Anyway, the only issue that I have found is that for some albums, there are duplicate entries in Album view. When you click on them, 1 of the entries has 1 song, but the other has the rest of the songs.

User uploaded file

In this example, as you can see, there are two entries in for this album. The one shown has track one, yet the other one has all the remaining tracks. When this album is copied to my iPhone, I only get one entry for this album, and all tracks are present! This has happened for both me and my partner, and it is really annoying.

I have checked the "Get Info" for both albums, and I cant see any difference between the tracks! Is this a bug in iTunes or is this just iTunes being annoying?

Thanks

Graeme

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 10:13 AM

Select the both albums with a ctrl-click, press ctrl-i to Get Info, change the album name to <Album>X click OK, get info, change it back to <Album>.

Repeat as required. For more into see Grouping tracks into albums.

tt2

17 replies

Apr 17, 2015 2:01 PM in response to turingtest2

This worked for 2 of my albums that are showing double. I have 4 more that it won't work for and I don't know what to do. I tried renaming it and then naming it back to normal but it goes back to the same thing. Sometimes when I rename it to X some of them are grouped closer so instead of 5 there are 2 and then when I group them back with their regular name they go back to 5. and all the information other than that is completely identical and none of them are marked as compilations. Please help!User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 2:42 PM in response to kostas90

There seems to an underlying bug in iTunes 12 that may prevent correct execution of the logic that groups tracks into albums. This can normally be fixed as follows:

• select all the tracks that should be grouped as one album
  • right-click > Get Info
  • edit the Album value to append a "dummy" character - e.g., change "To The Sea" to "To The Seax" and click OK
  • the tracks should now group correctly - if so, reverse these steps to remove the "dummy" character

Note also that there's no need to enter values for Sort Artist, Sort Album Artist and Sort Album unless you want these values to be different from Artist, Album Artist and Album respectively. In your last example it would be valid to enter "Johnson, Jack" as the Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist if you want to sort solo artists by last name rather than first name.

Apr 17, 2015 2:47 PM in response to hhgttg27

tried that too and did not work. I added an x to the end and they still remain separate. I know about the sort fields but did it so that maybe it would force iTunes to group them together even though it seemed to not recognize they should be together. I took away the sort fields now in the one I added x to the end of and still the same

Apr 17, 2015 3:08 PM in response to kostas90

Hmmm ... two other possibilities:

• Your media files are read-only or Windows permissions are preventing the embedded metadata from being updated (this is less likely as the symptoms here are more usually that metadata changes are not persistent after editing).
  • If your media files are in mp3 format, there could be multiple/conflicting tags - iTunes can have problems in resolving cases where metadata values are held in two or more different ID3 tags. You can either check and fix this in a 3rd party mp3 tagging tool, or within iTunes:
    • right-click on tracks, select Convert ID3 tags ...
    • Set the ID3 version to None a couple of times then set it to v2.3

The other option that sometimes works (though there's no obvious rationale for it!) is to select all tracks that should be part of one album, set the Album is a compilation... flag, and click OK. This should force the tracks to be grouped correctly as iTunes will only be looking for common values of Album. If the album does then group correctly, reverse this process and hopefully the grouping should be retained.

Although this is somewhat clutching at straws, you could also try applying the "dummy character" method to the Artist, Album and Album Artist tags.

Duplicate albums in album view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.