Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Consolidating charts

I've just started using Numbers today, so I have lot to learn. On the other hand, the project I'm now working on now is very simple, so i'm hoping that it will be extremely easy to do. I'll tell you what I want to do, and I'd like to be told if it can be done before I start looking through the manuals and videos. I want to prepare a chart with 223 rows and 20 columns. The vertical column to the left would have the names of 223 singers, and the columns to the right would be headed by the years from 1920 to 1939. I now have all of the singer's names, but because the templates I'm using have only 45 rows, I've had to prepare five charts.

Is there a way to combine my five charts into one? Is it then a simple matter to forward the consolidated chart as an E-mail attachment? Finally, if you have any thoughts as to a good place to look for such information, i'd like to hear about it.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:23 AM

28 replies

Dec 8, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Niku

I think you should be able to store all the data in a single table, then plot in a single chart. Do you have an example you use to post a screenshot?

to email a pdf from any application on the Mac OS, use the menu item "File > Print", then clickand hold the pdf button. then you can select "Mail PDF":

User uploaded file

Numbers users guide is pretty good and is a free download here:

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#productivitysoftware

It is always worth your time to look at the doc in addition to using the resources on this forum.

Dec 8, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Well, there are manuals, to be sure, but I don't like using manuals on the screen, and I'm not ready to print the 225 pages that one manual contains. I thought it would be easier to get started in the right direction. If you had said, for example, that it is impossible to prepare a chart with 200+ rows, I would have just had to accept that and work with what is possible. However, you say that it is possible, so now I know that I won't be wasting my time by looking for something that doesn't exist. As to sending a screenshot, I'll try, but it seems to me that I have never been able to post something like that here. Here goes.

Dec 8, 2012 12:48 PM in response to Niku

Well, at least I did better than I have in the past. This chart has all the names, but it's missing the numbers 1 through 45 to the left of the names, and it's missing the years at the top of the columns. I might add that I keep misplacing the years. Sometimes they're there, and sometimes not. .

Mack, Mirth

MacDonald, Jeanette

Marcotte, Ruth Marie

Maddux, Frances

Mann,Belle

Mann, Mabel

Marks, Mabel

Matthews, Ester

Maughan, Dora

Maurice, Vivian & Cecil

McCoy, Viola

McPherson, Ozie

Melville, Winnie

Merle Twins

Miller, Beth

Miss Dalley

Miss Mitzi

Mitchell, Nita

Moncrieff, Gladys

Moore, Grace

Morley, Alice

Morgan, Helen

Morse, Lee

Morten, Lillian

Nordstrom, Sisters

Novak Girls

O’Connor, Kitty

Oldham, Florence

O’Neal, Zelma

Painter, Eleanor

Parkes, Ennis

Paull Sisters

Payne, Greta

Penn, Ann

Petrie, Cecile

Pickens Sisters

Ponce Sisters

Ponder, Suzanne

Preer, Evelyn

Pursell, Jane

Quine, Grace

Raymund, Helen

Rice, Glsdys

Richards, Helen

Robins, Phyllis

Dec 8, 2012 3:19 PM in response to Niku

First, I assume you meant to say "tables, not "charts". Tables have columns and rows. Charts are graphical plots.

Second, you can add rows to tables. You aren't stuck with the default of the template. You could have made a single table instead of five.

Third, you can easily combine tables. In the example below, I have two tables that have the same headers. I want to combine them.

1. Select the second table.
  2. Select rows 2-4 of that table by clicking on the row number "2" then shift-clicking on the row number "4". You should get a selection box that surrounds all of those three rows
  3. Click and hold on one of those row numbers and drag to the right to "lift" the rows from the table
  4. While still holding the mouse button, move your cursor to the bottom of the first table. A blue line will appear. This is where the rows will be placed.
  5. Let go of the mouse button.
  6. Delete what remains of table 2. In this case, because we moved all but the header row, the entire table 2 is still there for you to delete. If we had left a row in the table, the moved rows would have been deleted automatically.

Before:

User uploaded file

After (but before deleting table 2):

User uploaded file

Dec 8, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Badunit

That's the kind of advice I needed, alhough it would have been more helpful if you had said how to add a row. No matter, I discovered how, and I'm now on my way to 223 rows click-by-click. However, it occurs to me that there might be a faster way to add many rows. What does that symbol that looks like a wishbone mean? It's right in front of a down arrow, and I assume that by clicking on the arrow at the same time as some other key, the progress would be continuous.

I can no longer combine the five tables I had already made, because I somehow lost all of the content of one of them when I was trying to do something with it. I did find it once, but then I lost it again and was unable to recover it again. Well, I'm now going back to add a hundred or so more rows.

Dec 8, 2012 5:34 PM in response to Niku

Well, I guess there are no shortcuts. I just lost that 223-row table I had spent so much time creating, and I don't know how to get it back. There are just too many ways to go wrong. I'm quitting for the day (this is tiring work), but I'll be back tomorrow to watch tutorial videos and to copy appropriate pages from the manual. Exchanging messages at this level is just not helpful. I'm closing this case for now. Perhaps after I learn more, I'll be back.

Dec 8, 2012 6:27 PM in response to Niku

I have no idea what you did to delete your table, if you did, in fact delete it. It is possible you slid it far out of sight or underneath another table but it is still there somewhere. The sidebar on the left has a list of all your tables. If it is still on the list, it is still there somewhere.

If the table has been deleted but the document is still open, try Edit/Undo a few times and maybe your table will reappear. Otherwise, go to the menu under File/Revert To and you can revert to a previous version of your file and maybe that will get your table back.

I'm at a loss as to what the "symbol that looks like a wishbone...right in front of a down arrow" is. I don't see anything like that.

Reading through the user's manual will definitely teach you faster than clicking things randomly.

Dec 8, 2012 7:13 PM in response to Badunit

Badunit wrote:

Reading through the user's manual will definitely teach you faster than clicking things randomly.

I finally reachd that conclusion after my growing list of questions made me call a halt to my flailing around. Why do my tables keep disappearing? Why do the numbers in the leftmost column disappear? Why did all of my column titles disappear? Why do my tables keep being broken up? Why do my sheet names disappear, and where do they go? Why did my sheet name relocate itself to the 173rd row from where it can't be removed? On and on. More and more problems that needed answers. Finally, I realized that I was just getting in deeper and deeper with no relief in sight. ENOUGH!

Dec 8, 2012 8:19 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne Contello wrote:

Niku,

Numbers is not MS Excel. The row/column headers disappear when you deselect a table-- as they are only necessary when you are editing a table.

I'm not sure that I understand. I need those headings; they form an integral part of the table. The table would have very limited--no, it would be worthless--if the years at the top were to be deleted.

Dec 8, 2012 9:25 PM in response to Niku

Wayne was talking abut the column letters and row numbers. If you look at my second screenshot, the bottom table (which is selected) is showing the column letters and row numbers while the top table (which is not selected) is not. Both tables have a header row that has the dates in it and both have a header column that has the names in it. The headers and all the data are displayed regardless of whether the table is selected or not.

Dec 9, 2012 9:22 AM in response to Badunit

I decided to try something simple this morning before sitting down with the manual: I moved the Years-row down one notch, so that it is now below the template horizontal letters. Here's the result:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to be successful in short spurts, and when I started losing things again, I decided to be content with this one victory and hit the books.

Dec 9, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Niku

Okay, Badunit, I now know enough now to publish my first chart and send it to my Yahoo group. I've prepared the table the way I want it, and now I just have type in the two hundred twenty-three singer names and the number of recordings each singer made in a particular year, and that'll be it. Just some typing, and no more mysterious losses. My next project will be to type the names of approximately two hundred songs and the names of all of the singers who sang those songs in the period from 1920 to 1934, This will range from one to, say, eighteen. I want the easiest way to do this. Would it be possible to have two parallel lists (singers and songs) so that I could just drag the singers to the appropriate song? Or, maybe there's a better way. While I'm waiting, I'll finish with the first project.

Dec 10, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Badunit

Okay, Badunit, I've finished my two projects, and now I need a little advice to make some corrections in them. One project is 118 pages. Fortunately, because of its format, I don't think I'll have any problems making corrections here and there.The 18-page table is a different story. Based upon my experience with "Numbers," I expect a great deal of difficulty. To illustrate my point, think of how you trash a file. The most common way is probably just to drag it to the trash can. I don't do that anymore, I find it a very poor method that requires more coordination and finger dexterity than I can depend on. I won't mention all of the problems that that method can cause, but using the Right-Click>Trash method never causes any problems. Well, with "Numbers" I know that I can drag words and lines around, but I then have the same problems, and more, than the Drag>Trash method oftentimes leads to. I need a way to move words and lines around on a "Numbers" table that is equivalent to the Right-Click>Trash method. One thing I'll need to be doing is to add several lines to the table I have already prepared. Unfortunately, that always leads to disappearing words, or lines, or sometimes whole pages. I don't want to do that any more. Is there a safer method? Here's part of the 18-page table that I expect to be a problem.

User uploaded file

Consolidating charts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.