Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3.4.2 Aperture library won't open after 3.4.3 update

I have two libraries...the old (archive) library updated with the 3.4.3 update, but my new primary in another location did not. Now when I try to open the new library (3.4.2) I get a message stating that I need:

"To import this iPhoto library in Aperture, it first needs to be upgraded. Verify that you have iPhoto 9.4 or later. Then open the library in iPhoto to upgrade it."

I dont have 9.4 and cannot figure this out...

Please help!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:53 PM

13 replies

Dec 8, 2012 1:16 PM in response to jrddillon

Have you tried the Aperture 3 Library First Aid Tools? Try to repair permissions, the database, and if necessary, to rebuild the database.

Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

Make a backup of the library, before you try to rebuild, if you should not have a current backup.

If this does not solve the problem, post back.

There may be a corrupted datamodelversion file in your Aperture library package and you may need to fix the library manually; then post back.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 8, 2012 4:24 PM in response to jrddillon

You do have a backup of your Aperture library, don't you? The error you see, may be caused by a corrupted database-file inside your Aperture library - the file DataModelVersion.plist. With this file broken, Aperture erraniously assumes that it is viewing an outdated iPhoto library. The fix suggested by Apple engineers is to restore this file by a working version from your backup (from a time when Aperture still could read the library). To open your Apperture library package ctrl-click it and select "Show package contents" from the pop-up menu. Then locate the DataModelVersion.plist file. See this post by joeholmes.

Re: Help! Can't Open Aperture Library (Requires iPhoto 9.4?)

Post back, if this works.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 14, 2012 9:56 PM in response to jrddillon

Any other suggestions / ideas?

I do not understand, why you cannot restore the single file "DataModelVersion.plist"from your backup.

If I go back into time machine, I cannot seem to separate out the specific file...only replace the library. Aperture worked after the 3.4.3 update, so there may be changes/additions to the library that arent captured in the last back up.

To single out the specific file open your Aperture library package in the Finder and select the Finder window (To open your Apperture library package ctrl-click it and select "Show package contents" from the pop-up menu.) before you launch Time Machine. Then you should be able to select and to restore the file.

Dec 15, 2012 12:15 PM in response to léonie

Ok, so before I tried what you suggested I realized that if I open that particular file, close it, then open the library, it opens up. I dont know when in time machine may help, but I guess I'll try. I wish I could just compare the coding to a working file and see if there is a discrepancy...

My guess is when it did work, breifly after the update, the file reads the same...

3.4.2 Aperture library won't open after 3.4.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.