Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Mountain Lion, right half of space bar stops working

The strangest thing just happened. I have a 2011 MacBook Air. Immediately after installing Mountain Lion, the space bar started behaving strangely. If I press on the left side, it works fine. If I press on the right side, it doesn't register, unless I press hard enough that I end up pressing down on the left side anyway. Examining this keyboard, I get the impression that there must be two sensors, one under each end of the space bar, and it registers a space if either one is triggered. That's just a guess, but if it's true, then for some reason, it's stopped paying attention to the right sensor. Anyone know if I'm right about this?

I called AppleCare, and they think it's a hardware problem. But what are the chances that this happened at exactly the same time as installing Mountain Lion?

That being said, I also have no idea how installing Mountain Lion could cause this, because the internal keyboard is actually a USB device, and all translation from sensors to keypresses is handled in the keyboard's firmware, unless there are actually two space bar keycodes, and Mountain Lion doesn't process one of them.

Ideas? Suggestions?

BTW, I'm in Binghamton, NY, so the nearest Apple Store is 75 miles away in Syracuse. So neither mail-in repair nor taking it to the Apple Store is a preferred option.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:40 PM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2012 11:48 PM in response to theosib

I agree with others, this doesn't sound like a ML problem. It is either a H/W problem, or..., it is possible that something got into the keyboard. For example, if you were eating around it, perhaps some type of crumb got under the key. That would do it too.

You can try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88cn_rtLo

This can be a pain if you haven't done it before. But worth a try if you'd have to otherwise pay for a new keyboard (and if it is a crumb versus a bad switch/button).

Upgrade to Mountain Lion, right half of space bar stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.