Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an Iphone 5 (Carrier: Sprint / model A1249) and I want to use it in France. Can I without any problems?

Hi everyone,

First, I want to apologize about my bad english, I'm french.

So today, I bought on Ebay an Iphone 5 64 Giga, Model A1249 MD668LL/A, and apparently simlocked. That's why the seller sold it with a R-sim6 cards.

Here is the information some IMEI website checker told me about it:

Warrantly: Active

Technical support: Active

Resgistered Status: Yes

Activated Status: Yes

Purchase Date: Validated

Sim Lock status: Locked

So, that's mean until I don't use the r-sim in it, I can't use my phone with any other nanosim than the sprint one?

is they're any way to unlock my phone without this r-sim and legally?

I saw some website about unlocking directly your iphone 5, but it's a bit expensive. Is it legal? Can apple helped me about this?

Thanks you.

Alex.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:28 PM

13 replies

Dec 8, 2012 5:23 PM in response to bhazel

It's False, The only carrier that don't provide GSM support is actually At&T, that's why a lot of people said in the USA it's the worst about travelling.

Verizon and Sprint support GSM network outside the country, but only the Verizon iphone are sold totally unlocked to any other carriers.

That's why some website sell some offer about Factory Unlock on Sprint iphone 5s

Here is the specs about network support:

• AT&T – GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)
  • Verizon & Sprint – CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
  • European – GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
    As you can see, Verizon and Sprint models sold support both CDMA and GSM carrier, as said many times on the internet.
    Information coming from here:
    http://mgalligan.com/post/31415410863/buying-an-iphone-5-dont-go-with-at-t

Dec 9, 2012 1:18 AM in response to Nabooh

One question for you - if you are French and you live in France and you want to use an iPhone 5 in France, then why on earth did you not buy an iPhone 5 in France? If you buy in France then you will have a European warranty.

If you buy a US iPhone 5 from E-bay, then you have no warranty as it is country specific so only valid for the US.Buy the phone in France and you are covered by EU warranty.

You need to return the phone to your E-bay seller for a full refund and start again by buying a fully and officially unlocked iPhone 5 from France or another Euopean country that sells them.

May 6, 2016 6:24 AM in response to AJ 0perator

Check your information before posting. iPhones are not unlocked using a code

from the locking wireless provider. You do need to contact the wireless provider

to which an iPhone is locked to see if they offer unlocking and if you qualify.

Assuming both answers are positive, the wireless provider will provide you

instructions on how to proceed, but the wireless provider does not send

an unlock code to the iPhone user.

I bought an Iphone 5 (Carrier: Sprint / model A1249) and I want to use it in France. Can I without any problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.