Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I see a list of failed SSH logins?

Is there a bash script I can write to be updated when a failed SSH login takes place and alert me via GeekTook?

I'm using Mountain Lion.

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:09 AM

Look at /var/log/secure.log

The sshd entries will tell you about ssh connection attempts, both successful as well as failures.

16 replies

Jan 4, 2013 11:12 AM in response to taalvoel

Okay,

I found the log.

Can someone help me decipher what this means in the log:

Received disconnect from 124.224.178.154: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]

Jan 4 06:00:03 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4902]: Received disconnect from 124.224.178.154: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]

Jan 4 06:00:07 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4905]: Invalid user oracle from 124.224.178.154

Jan 4 06:00:07 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4905]: input_userauth_request: invalid user oracle [preauth]

Jan 4 06:00:07 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4905]: Received disconnect from 124.224.178.154: 11: Bye Bye [preauth]

Jan 4 06:00:11 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4907]: Invalid user test from 124.224.178.154

Jan 4 06:00:11 Quad-Core-Sandy-Bridge-iMac.local sshd[4907]: input_userauth_request: invalid user test [preauth]

What's user oracle and Bye Bye mean?

Within hours of turning this on, I am getting attempts?

Also, how do I open the Drop Box in OS X and allow anyone to post things in it?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2013 11:25 AM in response to taalvoel

I'm just putting 2+2 together to give guesses

'oracle' is the username the connection request was trying. The same with user 'test'

I do not have 'Bye Bye' entries, so maybe that is another username as it is followed by [preauth] which follows the 'oracle' and 'test' usernames. Or maybe it is something sshd is issuing. But again, I do not have any 'Bye Bye' entries in my logs.

Within hours of turning this on, I am getting attempts?

Is your Mac on a public network? Then you are getting random phishing attempts to connect to any IP address that can be found. I'm surprised you do not have any 'root' probes. 'oracle' I can undestand, as that it the user name to an Oracle Database, so getting access to a corporate Oracle Database could provide lots of information.

Drop Box is a new question. Please post a new thread about that, so you do not muddy up this discussion.

Jan 4, 2013 2:37 PM in response to BobHarris

What do you mean is my Mac on a public network?

It's connected to my cable modem and the entire internet can see it.

Is this bad though, if they don't know my password?

Also, what would happen if I went into Sharing, and under Remote login, clicked Allow all users, or create a guest account with a guest password?

Would that let someone have access to a guest account remotely?

Jan 4, 2013 2:49 PM in response to taalvoel

If you are directly connected to the internet (no home router between you and the ISP's broandband modem), then yes the world can see you.

Any no-password required access is open to the world. Now the world needs to guess your IP address has accessible accounts, but there are systems out there constantly probing IP addresses trying Well Known ports and Accounts attempting to find a "Live One". Not just ssh. File sharing, Screen Sharing, Web servers, FTP servers, etc...

If they think they have found a "Live One", they may come back and keep trying different passwords hoping to guess the password for an account. <https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm>

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.