Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 ubuntu Install

Hello, I'm trying to make my mac pro 2006 (1,1) a dual boot

I make a partitiona and I install refit. Then since my superdrive is broken

I try to install it from a USB drive but I get

"Error: Not found returned from legacy loader"

"Error: Not found from LocateDevicePath"...

I have an external DVD as well but refit doesn't seem

able to find it (i think is firewire though)

Any help, suggestions? Pointers?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 6:25 PM

10 replies

Dec 8, 2012 6:52 PM in response to vlex9

You might find it a lot easier and more flexible to run Ubuntu (or Fedora and/or any other Linux distros) as a Virtual Machine. I've found VMware Fusion to be quite compatible and well integrated with them, with the additional options to make duplicate copies of the VM's before you start tinkering or taking snapshot which you can seamlessly revert to.

Dec 8, 2012 7:14 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I guess I can find and usb-based dvd but I'm afraid that I will have the same problems I had with the USB drive and the refit. VM Fusion always has some problems. Sometimes it's too slow, some other times makes my machine slow. I don't know I was hoping to have an ubuntu permantly there.

Do you think that the external usb dvd will work?

Dec 8, 2012 7:51 PM in response to vlex9

My college student son runs his MacBook on Debian. When he has to rebuild from scratch, he comes home to use the external USB DVD Reader we have on hand. (His built-in DVD Reader is a little unreliable.)

So YES, I think an external USB DVD Reader is a solution.

macsales has a drive that fits your older Mac Pro, although they are out-of-stock at the moment probably due to the Los Angeles dock workers' strike:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/superdrive/Mac_Pro_Xeon

Jun 17, 2013 9:41 AM in response to vlex9

Anyone solved this problem?

I have the same problem with my MP 1.1. and don't want a Linux in a VM.

I already tried it with USB-Stick with ISO and /etc/boot/xxx.efi file and with unpacked ISO with "dd" and unetbootin. I also tried with DVD ISO and an unpacking to DVD with Toast.

Screw this EFI.

I tried rEFIt and rEFInd...not booting from the live-system at all. 😠

Mac Pro 1.1 ubuntu Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.