Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Data

I have first generation G5 (Dual Processor Power PC) that has finally died (along with my 23" Cinema display.) I do have my data backed up on a second internal Sata Drive however. If I buy a new iMac, will I be able to transfer all of my iPhoto pics, Documents, iTunes Music, etc? Will I have to transfer the data to an External HD first? If so, should I get one with USB3 / eSata / Firewire ports? I realize I have not bought a Mac desktop in a while, so I am not sure of how to do the transfer. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Tom

2 G5 Duals / G4 TiPB / MBP 2.0 / iPad, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 23" Cinema Display and 8 gig on G5 Dual

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:30 PM

Start by having a look at Pondinis excellent information...

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its backups, or a PC

5 replies

Dec 8, 2012 8:57 PM in response to Thomas Sokol

Firewire will work on the iMac however you need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple to do it. The HD from your old machine will not even boot even if you did the surgery to install it which would almost for sure invalidate your warranty.The reason it won't work is the G5's hardware and the new iMac's hardware are worlds apart and share nothing in common so the new machine wouldn't boot. However I think you already know this. Your best bet is to clone your old G5 box to and external HD using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner (Google both) and then when you boot the new machine for the first time it will ask if you're migrating from another Mac. Choose yes and follow the on-screen instructions. Pondini does an excellent job of using Setup Assistant, simply read it in Lion or Mountain Lion Setup Assistant tips for instructions.

Dec 9, 2012 6:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I would never try to put my SATA drive in any new iMac...I am just confused about the best way to tranfer the data in any new iMac I purchase. I have actually used CarbonCopy Cloner to clone my HD from the G5 onto an EXT HD, but that was probably a year ago. When the internal SATA drive started failing beyond repair this weekend, I put a new HD in the second slot, installed a fresh LEOPARD on THAT drive, and then "Dragged and Dropped" as much data as I could from the failed SATA HD to the new one. I did not want to clone from a drive that had a failed file structure....I am guessing that the best I can do at this point is:

1) Buy a new iMac (and Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter)

2) Migrate as much as data as I can from my year old EXT HD

I also have a second EXT HD that I used for Time Machine....I don't know if I can pull any recent data from that?

Tom

Transferring Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.