Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete something off my Mac will it be deleted on my hard drive on the next time machine backs up? HELP!

I am fairly new to the mac world and am trying to set up an external hard drive. I have a WD 'My Passport' for mac potable hard drive. My Macbook doesnt have much space on it and i want to be able to keep alot of my things on a hard drive (I have large amounts of photos and movies). I want to know if i use this time machine thing will i loose data i have deleted on my mac?????

THANKS!!!!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:46 PM

Time Machine is a backup application and not an archival application.

What that means is if you delete things from the drive then Time Machine when it wants to can delete them also. So once it is gone from the hard drive there is no guarentee that you can get it back again from Time Machine.

Allan

2 replies

Dec 8, 2012 9:46 PM in response to Dorba

Time machine isn't a storage utility. It is a back up utility. How it works is it takes a snapshot of everything stored on your mac when it performs a backup. Subsequent back ups it only copys things that change. I creates "versions" of your backups that you can view as a timeline and see your computer in the state it was on the version of back up you're viewing.

If you want to use time machine to back up your stuff I'd use a seperate hard drive for your time machine hard drive. It is a good rule of thumb to have a hard drive at least twice as the hard drive being backed up.

You should be able to just store your photos and videos on your my passport and use it as extra storage. I don't know what exactly you're wanting to do with them but they should be fine just "existing" on your external instead of your local hard drive.

If I delete something off my Mac will it be deleted on my hard drive on the next time machine backs up? HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.