Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixing Aspect Ratios in FCPX

hey all,

I understand dealing with different frame rates and such, but I need help with understanding mixing aspect ratios. I'm going to be shooting on my gopro and would like to use a 1440p 4:3 to shoot myself from a helmet mount, with that aspect ratio you will better see my body. The rest of my shoot will be in 1080p 16:9.

Basically I'm wondering if there is anyway to get the 1440p 4:3 up to the size dimensions of 16:9 without effecting the look or quality of the image. I dont know i if this is possible, but would like to check. Thanks so much!

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 10:47 PM

19 replies

Dec 8, 2012 11:16 PM in response to agrizer

Short answer: No.

It can't be done without losing something.

With the 4:3 footage, (assuming you have your project set to 16:9) you can go to "spatial conform" in the inspector and toggle to "fill." This will have the image fill the entire 16:9 screen, but crop out a large chunk of the image on all sides.

Similarly, you can use the transform / crop tool to fill out the screen. (You essentially scale the image. But, you can lose resolution.)

Other options are to let the 4:3 image rest in the 16:9 frame with black "pillars" on either side.

Another artistic option is to have the 4:3 image fill the enter 16:9 frame, "blur" it... Then rest a clear version of the 4:3 image on top. This achieves a "smeared" effect on the left and right sides. This is done often with SD "legacy" footage. ESPN does it all the item.

Mixing Aspect Ratios in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.