Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've downloaded AirPort Util 5.6, in order to manage my Gen 1 Airport Express. But when I go to mount, it says it can't be installed as version of OSX (latest Mountain Lion) is not supported. Feels like Im back using Windows...

I've downloaded AirPort Util 5.6, in order to manage my Gen 1 Airport Express - because Airport Util 6.0 won't recognise it.

But when I go to mount, it says Airport 5.6 it can't be installed as my version of OSX (latest Mountain Lion) is not supported/does not support on 5.6.

Super unhelpful error messages bringing back memories of using Windows...

Anyone sussed this, or have Apple just fazed out the original Airport Express hardware on the sly?

User uploaded file

Airport-OTHER, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 3:59 AM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2012 7:15 AM in response to platzgumer

Generation 1 AirPort Express is Model No A1264. Check the side of your Express to look for the model number there. AirPort Utility in Mountain Lion will configure this model.

More likely, you have an older "b/g" version of the Express. Apple started the "Generation" thing with "n" capable devices. The Model number of your device is likely either A1084 or A1088. AirPort Utility in Mountain Lion no longer supports these older "b/g" devices.

If you have a Mac there running an earlier version of the operating system, you can use that to configure the Express.

Or, there is is workaround to install AirPort Utility 5,6 for Lion on Mountain Lion. See this article for details:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167965/mountain_lion_and_the_ancient_airport_ba se_station.html

I've downloaded AirPort Util 5.6, in order to manage my Gen 1 Airport Express. But when I go to mount, it says it can't be installed as version of OSX (latest Mountain Lion) is not supported. Feels like Im back using Windows...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.