Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last night I updated some stuff on my macbook and left it while it updated now the screen stays grey when i turn it on and wont do anything, ive tried putting the software disc in and holding c and nothing happens?? why?? please help!!

Please help!!!!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:39 AM

I would first reset the SMC and pram and if that didn't fix it I would do a safe boot.

To reset the SMC

Shut down the computer.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

Remove the battery.

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Release the power button.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys and allow your Mac to restart.

Safe Boot - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2012 4:39 AM in response to Monkeymick

I would first reset the SMC and pram and if that didn't fix it I would do a safe boot.

To reset the SMC

Shut down the computer.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

Remove the battery.

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Release the power button.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys and allow your Mac to restart.

Safe Boot - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Dec 9, 2012 2:37 PM in response to Monkeymick

This is the original disc that came with your computer correct? Insert the disc. Hold down the power button till the macbook shuts off completely, release the power button. Now that the mac is completely shut down press the power button again while holding the C key down, do not release the c key until the Apple shows up on the screen. The computer should continue to start from the optical drive, this will take much longer than a regular start up. Select your language, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Repair your hard disk.

If the above steps don't work and you've properly reset your SMC and pram I don't know what else to suggest.

Dec 9, 2012 2:43 PM in response to Monkeymick

Monkeymick wrote:

I tried the install disc again and still nothing comes up on the screen?

Have you tried single-user mode? Turn on the power and press Cmd-S when you hear the startup tone. It should go to a black, text-mode screen. Assuming it boots to a command prompt, type 'fsck -fy' and then press Enter. If it manages to check the file system correctly and/ repair it, then you can type 'reboot' and then Enter when you're done.

If fsck returns errors, let us know what they are.

Last night I updated some stuff on my macbook and left it while it updated now the screen stays grey when i turn it on and wont do anything, ive tried putting the software disc in and holding c and nothing happens?? why?? please help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.