Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7 pin DIN connector.

Hello Team,

What are the features of the 7 pin DIN connector on the right side of the PowerBook G4?

Is is just video, or does it include audio as well?

The PowerBook G4 comes with a conveter cable to composite video, if there is no audio does it also convert to 4 pin video so I can connect direct to a TV using S-Video?

If the 7 pins allow for video and audio is there a cable which has 7 pin DIN on one end and on the other end a S-Video DIN plus audio RCA connectors.

Thanks.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Apr 26, 2006 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2006 4:28 AM

That's the S-video port. Page 45 of the PB users guide describes it's use. From that page:

The TV out port (also known as an S-video out port) on your computer lets you connect to a television, videocassette recorder (VCR), or video projection system using an S-video cable. You can use TV out to display images on a television, record computer images on a VCR, or play DVD-Video discs on your television.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2006 4:28 AM in response to Tokyo

That's the S-video port. Page 45 of the PB users guide describes it's use. From that page:

The TV out port (also known as an S-video out port) on your computer lets you connect to a television, videocassette recorder (VCR), or video projection system using an S-video cable. You can use TV out to display images on a television, record computer images on a VCR, or play DVD-Video discs on your television.

Apr 26, 2006 8:07 PM in response to Tokyo

The connector is 7 pin DIN. S-Video is 4 pin, and not plug compatible.

Do you mean that it only outputs video, meaning no audio, and I need a 7 pin to 4 pin converter? If so then why not use a 4 pin? There must be some reason for Apple to select 7 pin.

The manual only says what it does, not how to do it.

Apr 29, 2006 11:46 PM in response to Tokyo

I hope someone can give a difinitive answer as it is badly documented by Apple and other places.

It seem that the 7 pin DIN is used to provide three output options using special connectors for video only....

1) 7 pin DIN video out
2) 4 pin S-video with dongle video out
3) Composite video out, cable supplied with PowerBook G4

No audio. It seems like to show video and audio on the screen you need to use the 7 pin DIN, as converted, to show the video, and the headphones socket to get audio.

Not a nice way to conect. The DIN connector is on the right and the headphones connector on the left.

If this is wrong, and I hope it is, then please let me know.

7 pin DIN connector.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.