Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete a apple id

how do i delete one of my apple ids

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:18 AM

36 replies

Dec 10, 2012 2:30 PM in response to sngrady

HI,

Where from ?

In Messages as the iMessages account then just use the Sign Out Button in version 7.0.1

In Earlier versions use Account details button then Sign Out.

IF you mean an Alias in iMessages on the Mac then untick it first then remove it for the iOS device > Settings > Messages > Send and Receive. (You get a warning it cannot be used anywhere after this but it can be set up again)

Some Apple IDs are also Valid AIM Screen Names.

If you are using one in this manner then highlight it is iChat /Messages Menu > Preferences > Accounts then use the "-" (minus) button.

As has been said you cannot delete it from Apple (therefore it never gets re-released with someone pretending to be you).

It means that effectively it is forever in iTunes as well.

User uploaded file
10:30 PM Monday; December 10, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jan 5, 2013 11:17 AM in response to CandyxxoG

Why ???

It would mean the Posting Name here could get re-issued and anyone could pretend to be you.

It would also mean that your Apple ID could get re-issued and someone may gain access to your iTunes Account (and possibly your registered items list)

User uploaded file
7:16 PM Saturday; January 5, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 19, 2013 3:48 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Well an old ID could be merged with another ID of the same store at least. When I started using Apple, I was using an Gmail-address. A bit later, I started using MobileMe so I got a .Me-adress, which I only used since then. On my old Gmail-ID are a few purchases (apps and music), but the main part of my purchases are on my Me-ID. I don't use the Gmail-ID at all anymore and it would be nice if Apple would allow to merge two IDs of the same store and so release the old eMail address.

Jan 20, 2013 11:37 AM in response to Strulf

Hi,

Apple have never Merged Accounts as such.

Paid for @mac.com names could be linked to @me.com names at the .Mac service to MobielMe change over.

Similar has happened during MobileMe to iCloud.

When the .Mac service that preceded MobileMe was running you could sign up for Trial accounts that continued to be valid as AIM Screen Names after the Trial had run out.

When MobileMe started Apple kept the @mac.com registration site going as "iChat Names".

I have several of these @mac.com names that have been linked to external IDs (email Addresses ) (you could not/Cannot use one Apple ID to create another).

What I have done in the past is Unlink the external email from one @mac.com name to create another.

The name still works and an AIM valid name in iChat and Messages but cannot be verified for iMessages or iCloud use (Not that I want or need to).

The closest Apple has come to "Merging" account is with iCloud.

If you used an Existing Apple ID to create an iCloud @me.com then these two Names will give you access to the same Account.

I did this with an External email that is my main Apple ID and it gave me an @me.com name that I created.

Later they gave me an @icloud.com name as well.

That is now three email type names to access the same Apple ID that is also my iCloud Account.

The @me.com and @icloud.com name are in fact also valid AIM screen Name s independent of each other

All three are independent for iMessages on both iOS devices and the Mac version.

So, there can be reasons why Apple IDs are separate in some cases and apparently joined in others.

The only "linking" Apple have done is around the change overs from the .Mac service to MobileMe with paid for accounts (Emails were linked) and the MobileMe to iCloud change over which mean any existing Apple ID could create an iCloud ID and get an @me.com name in the process.

Untouched (verifiable) @mac.com names could be made into iCloud Accounts even if lapsed for few years.

What Apple have never done is merged accounts that were created separately in the first place, or deliberately kept separate at creation if merging was allowed at that time.

User uploaded file
7:36 PM Sunday; January 20, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 2, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Phlac

Hi,

I am sorry for you loss.

Having said that most people normally want to "Close" their Apple ID account becuase of other reasons:-

They don't have access the the Original email account that created it.

They were in a relationship that share an ID and that relationship has failed.

They have come to dislike Apple and it's products for one reason or another and want to demonstrate their "leaving".

In most cases the general accepted advice is to leave the account unused.

Any Posts on Apple Support Communities will eventually 'Fade" away.

Having said that this May 2011 Thread was reposted to "yesterday" my time and popped up in my in box as having a new post.

That aside I can see you may want to close any iTunes link and App store references.

I will alert the Hosts to this post and they may get in contact with you.

If you have not heard anything in couple of working days then use the iTunes App > Open Store page > and use the Contact Us option > Follow the Manage Account type options until you ge to an email option to "speak" to them.

User uploaded file
9:06 PM Saturday; February 2, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 2, 2013 1:35 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you.

In any event, I contacted Apple Support via email about this, and I'll repost it here for reference, as this kind of thing happens to everyone at one point or another:

if the account is canceled it can no longer be used to redownload or update purchased Apps. Additionally, any computers authorized for this account will be reauthorized, and will not be able to play any purchases made with this account.

If you prefer the content remains usable, you may transfer ownership of the account. If you want to assume ownership, please scan these documents and attach them to your reply:

- A copy of the death certificate of the current account holder.

- A legal document confirming you have the right to transfer the deceased's property.

If you prefer to cancel the account, please reply with the following document:

- A copy of the death certificate of the current account holder.

After I receive the documents, our legal team will review them. If they approve your request, I will be able to cancel or transfer ownership of the account.

So that is the general procedure for those tyring to clear things up for probate reasons, etc. You need to initiate the conversation via standard support channels.

Feb 2, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Phlac

Hi Phlac,

After notifying the Hosts via the "Report Post" option that Level 2 Posters and above can see and use I actually got curious and went and posted in the Lounge (Level 6 access "extra").

In here Level 6 and Higher can get responses to some questions from the Host more directly. (Not to mention a "Collective" view of those that have been posting here a long time).

Your fresh post with the info from Apple effectively answered the post in the Lounge so I have Quoted it there for the use of others. As you say it may well happen to a number of us at some point in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to post further information.

User uploaded file
10:19 PM Saturday; February 2, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 3, 2013 11:29 AM in response to AceNeerav

HI,

My bad. 😟

I should have checked the latest version.

It is under Help and now called Support leading to this web page http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itunes/

At the bottom of the Menu it "Contact Support"

The right hand pane changes and has another "Contact iTunes Store Support" link.

After that chose "Account Management" whilst working from left to right across the panes until you get an offer to email the support team.

User uploaded file
7:29 PM Sunday; February 3, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

how do you delete a apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.