Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my text messages have disappeared since I updated my iPhone 4S software (to whatever the latest version is). How do I get them back?

All my text messages have disappeared since I updated my iPhone 4S software (to whatever the latest version is). How do I get them back?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:25 AM

Dear Charlie 42,

As we know, every time you sync iDevice with iTunes, it will automatically make a backup of your iDevice contents including photos, SMS, reminders, contacts and more. Therefore, as long as you have ever synced your iPhone 4/4S/5 with iTunes, you can get the lost messages from iPhone 4/4S backup files created by iTunes. Sounds greats, isn’t it?

To restore lost messages from iTunes backups, you need:

Do not connect your iPhone 4/4S/5 to iTunes again until the messages are recovered. Otherwise, the old backup file will be overwritten by the current content on your iPhone 4/4S/5. Once it happens, the deleted messages will be gone forever.

In addition, iTunes backup files cannot be used and opened directly on Mac and iDevice. The backup files location is “~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup”. In Finder, press “ALT/Option” on your keyboard and click “Go” from menu bar, you will see “Library” option. Choose it and then you can find the backup files.

How to use iTunes backup files to restore deleted messages?

Data Recovery for iTunes can get back your lost messages, photos, contacts and more on your iPhone 4/4S from iTunes backup files. If you accidentally lost your iPhone 4/4S/5 or deleted some messages off iPhone 4/4S/5, with this recovery utility, you can restore them at ease. No need to connect the devices! No need to open iTunes!

-JSO7799 Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2012 10:25 AM in response to Charlie42

Dear Charlie 42,

As we know, every time you sync iDevice with iTunes, it will automatically make a backup of your iDevice contents including photos, SMS, reminders, contacts and more. Therefore, as long as you have ever synced your iPhone 4/4S/5 with iTunes, you can get the lost messages from iPhone 4/4S backup files created by iTunes. Sounds greats, isn’t it?

To restore lost messages from iTunes backups, you need:

Do not connect your iPhone 4/4S/5 to iTunes again until the messages are recovered. Otherwise, the old backup file will be overwritten by the current content on your iPhone 4/4S/5. Once it happens, the deleted messages will be gone forever.

In addition, iTunes backup files cannot be used and opened directly on Mac and iDevice. The backup files location is “~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup”. In Finder, press “ALT/Option” on your keyboard and click “Go” from menu bar, you will see “Library” option. Choose it and then you can find the backup files.

How to use iTunes backup files to restore deleted messages?

Data Recovery for iTunes can get back your lost messages, photos, contacts and more on your iPhone 4/4S from iTunes backup files. If you accidentally lost your iPhone 4/4S/5 or deleted some messages off iPhone 4/4S/5, with this recovery utility, you can restore them at ease. No need to connect the devices! No need to open iTunes!

-JSO7799 Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Dec 9, 2012 11:22 AM in response to JSO7799

Hi, many thanks JSO7799. Two things:-

1. Another reply to a similar message had recommended connecting my iPhone to the computer and selecting Restore - so (before seeing your message) I connected but the iPhone started syncing with iTunes immediately/ automatically. I clicked the x to cancel the sync but I don't know if I was in time to stop my provious backup(on my computer from being erased

2. I've got into “~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup” but am unsure what to do next! I can see various folders dated earlier and one folder dated yesterday that seems to have loads of backup 'files' from 'yesterday'. How do I find and restore my text messages from them?

Charlie42

Dec 10, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Charlie42

To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync:

Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup

You can then look for your backup from which day you had the text messages last backed up before you deleted them.

If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.