Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement iPhone 5 from Apple new or refurbished?

So, long story short I'm currently on my second iPhone 5. The first one I received from Verizon had a defective auto-fous right out of the box. I took it to my local Apple Store where it was deemed defective by a Genius. He then offered me a replacement that wasn't in a sealed box, so I turn him down. Mind you I had just received the phone the previous day via FedEx from Verizon. They offer a 14 day no worry guarantee, so I told him I would just have the phone replaced by Verizon so I could get a new unit, which is what I had paid for. About a week later I receive my new iPhone from FedEx and it's pristine right out of the box, no cosmetic damage or flaws whatsoever. I'm content. However I noticed as soon as I removed the phone from it's box that it had an annoying little rattle, but I didn't think much of it. I was just happy to have a phone that wasn't all scratched or nicked up, and had a working camera this time. So it's roughly a month later and the rattle is starting to annoy me. When I walk or move my hand while talking on the phone I can hear the rattle in the earpiece. I think most people would be a bit disappointed with this for such a premium product. I called Apple on Friday and they agreed to send me a replacement. When I asked the rep on the phone if the device would be new or refurbished, he told me he didn't know and that it could be either or. I don't believe he can't tell. Surely Apple can tell the history of a device by it's serial number. My current phone has a serial number that begins with C38, the information in the e-mail I received from Apple yesterday states the new phone has a serial number beginning with DNP. I looked the new device up on Chipmunk International and it appears it's a Week 38 (September) model. So what do you guys think? New or refurb? What annoys me most is to upgrade to the iPhone 5 I had to pay $200 for the device, another $35 simply to upgrade, AND I lost my unlimited data package I've had for the last 7 years. I also have to pay $59 to Apple for the replacement ($29 for Express Replacement & $30 for overnight shipping). Seems a bit outrageous. Thoughts?

iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:49 AM

the rep you spoke to was right they have no idea what you have. the reason is apple treats their like new replacements as new device. the back, button, battery and glass as all been replace and the device has been heavily tested to make sure it works

24 replies

Dec 9, 2012 12:13 PM in response to bhazel

I understand what you're saying. It's gone over with a fine tooth comb. Great. But how is giving me a device that has old guts in it considered "new"? Would you go buy a new car with a flawless exterior and a worn interior? Makes no sense. The logic is flawed. If Apple wants to send me a refurb when I've only had the phone for slightly over a month, so be it. But I'll fight the issue. Something is off here.

Dec 9, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Chris092881

the rattle could be from the Power button going out of position inside. i had this problem when i dropped my iphone 4 previously . not sure if iphone5 has this problem.

but my iphone 5 came with kinks around the area of the volume buttons , i called up too, and they said it was likely caused during manufacturing and they can't exchange it .

I understand how u feel , i would rather they fix it then give me a refurbished phone. If i wanted a refurbished phone , i would buy it from a 2nd hand dealer.

Dec 9, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Chris092881

Chris092881 wrote:

What annoys me most is to upgrade to the iPhone 5 I had to pay $200 for the device, another $35 simply to upgrade, AND I lost my unlimited data package I've had for the last 7 years. I also have to pay $59 to Apple for the replacement ($29 for Express Replacement & $30 for overnight shipping). Seems a bit outrageous. Thoughts?

Seems an intelligent person with a little research could figure this all out.

$199 is the 2yr subsidized price.

Verizon will not allow user to keep their unlimited data plan when upgrading and receiving a subsidy.

The unlimited plan could have been kept, but that would have required paying full retail for the device.

All carriers charge an activation fee, most of the time you can get this waived.

Why did you pay Apple anything for a replacement? Warranty replacements are free.

Frankly, it comes across more as you like to whine than you actually want a resolution.

There is no resolution because you have not been wronged in any way, unless you actually payed Apple for a replacement of a device that is covered under warranty.

Dec 9, 2012 1:51 PM in response to diesel vdub

Did you just see what I wrote? I paid $60 to "resolve" this situation. Why would I pay $635 for the device off-contract when I was planning on staying with VZW regardless, and was due for my upgrade? No whining here. Had I been a fool and paid $635 only to have these issues I'd REALLY be upset. Which Apple Store do you work at, diesel vdub? In the future only respond if you have something useful to add.

Dec 9, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Chris092881

Who cares? New and refurbished have the exact same warranty, exact same lifespan.

I believe that either the first three or the last three digits of the serial number will tell you what factory the iPhone was made in, so if it's a plant dedicated to making refurbs, then that's that. Call Apple or go to an Apple Store and they should know where it came from.

Replacement iPhone 5 from Apple new or refurbished?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.