Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to "share" FCPX project with FCE 4

I'm slowly making the switch over from FCE to FCP with the aid of Tom Wolsky's book.

I've editied a multi-cam project of a concert performance, and I wanted to further edit it in FCE4 in order to add chapters for a disc burned with iDVD 7.1.2. I'm a bit unclear on the best way to do this.

Am I better off sharing to "Media Browser," and if so, how do I import that file/project into FCE?

OR

should I share via "Export Media," which, I believe, turns it into a Quicktime file. If "Export Media" is the better choice, what settings should be used in the Quicktime options.

OR is there another option that is better than the two I'd mentioned?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

Gary

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:45 AM

First, be very aware of the limitations of iDVD if your original footage is HD. You understand you'll lose a lot of quality going to SD, right? And you can already add chapters in FCPx.... You could simply create the storyline you like and save it out as a master file. You could use several different settings successfully. Outputting to prores 422 would work. If you had chapters set you could leave them in place and it would pretty much be ready for iDVD assuming no 16:9 issues.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Gary Markovich

First, be very aware of the limitations of iDVD if your original footage is HD. You understand you'll lose a lot of quality going to SD, right? And you can already add chapters in FCPx.... You could simply create the storyline you like and save it out as a master file. You could use several different settings successfully. Outputting to prores 422 would work. If you had chapters set you could leave them in place and it would pretty much be ready for iDVD assuming no 16:9 issues.

Dec 9, 2012 12:14 PM in response to Gary Markovich

Gary Markovich wrote:

Am I better off sharing to "Media Browser," and if so, how do I import that file/project into FCE?

OR

should I share via "Export Media," which, I believe, turns it into a Quicktime file. If "Export Media" is the better choice, what settings should be used in the Quicktime options.

From the export choices you cite, it sounds as though you're at least two updates behind. So I would start by going to the App Store and getting the latest update.

As digibudll said, FCP now includes chapter makers. If that is your only reason for going back to FCE, I would skip it.

If you have a high def movie to export, there will be no 16:9 issues in iDVD. On the other hand, if it is SD anamorphic you're working with, then it's a little more complicated.

Good luck.

Russ

Dec 9, 2012 1:12 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks digibudll and Russ H,

I am aware that I will be losing quality buring this to iDVD, but that is the format for the client. This was really my first project in FCPX, other than going through the tutorial of Tom's book.

As far as updating to the newest version of FCPX, I am aware that there are newer versions available, I'm just a little "gun-shy" about upgrading in the middle of a project. I'd had a bad experience upgrading in the middle of an FCE project. Things kind of went kaflooey...

Dec 9, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Gary Markovich

Gary Markovich wrote:

As far as updating to the newest version of FCPX, I am aware that there are newer versions available, I'm just a little "gun-shy" about upgrading in the middle of a project.

Makes sense to be cautious.

Other chapter marker alternatives to FCE are Compressor (worth getting @$49 even if it didn't do chapter markers), andMetadta Hootenany (free…and, more importantly, it works).

Russ

Best way to "share" FCPX project with FCE 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.