Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to restore my apple tv 2nd gen in iTunes but am getting an error saying the device cannot be found.

I can see the apple TV device in iTunes. The message only comes up after I click on the restore apple tv button. The light on the apple tv is flashing rapidly. The reason I am trying to restore it is because after a recent update the device stopped working properly (wouldn't get past the apple symbol on start-up). I originally tried restoring it in an earlier version of iTunes but at the end of the restoration an error occured and it was not able to be completed. I updated iTunes and tried again but now I'm getting the rapidly flashing light and the message that the device cannot be found. Everything is up to date and I don't have any other cords connected or any other devices connected to my computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:52 AM

7 replies

Dec 10, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Danfachin

Unfortunetly, it doesn't work on 2 of my apple tvs. One is an apple tv2 and the other version 3. I dragged the resstore version appleTV2,1_5.0.2_9B830_SP on windows 7 to desktop made no difference when I launched it. I also tried to use a Mac OS6 and would not work on either as versions well. Although I did not drag anything to the desktop as I can't find the restore app usign search even.

Dec 10, 2012 6:04 PM in response to jameshoussen

you shift-clicked on "restore" from iTunes? and selected the restore file? and it didnt work?

I'm confused here. The "restore app" is itunes itself. your Apple TV should appear there when its plugged into your computer.

It doesnt matter where the file is, just so long as you can find it when you shift-click on the restore button inside iTunes when you have the TV plugged into your computer. The desktop is just a convienent, easy-to-find location to store such a file.

trying to restore my apple tv 2nd gen in iTunes but am getting an error saying the device cannot be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.