Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add highlighted ranges on a chart

Does anyone know how to add highlighted (target) ranges to a line graph in numbers? I would like to plot lab values vs time with the healthy target ranges highlighte on the graph.

Also, is there a way to have multiple data sets charted vs time (again multiple lab values) and design the chart so that you can select which data sets to display at once for comparison? So if I wanted to show someone the correlation between body weight and blood pressure then I would like to check those two parameters so that only they show up together on the chart over time. Ideally this would be a dynamic feature fit for presentations and not something I would have to edit in the chart data source formula each time.

Any help is so appreciated!

Scott

iWork Numbers-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:11 PM

2 replies

Dec 9, 2012 3:27 PM in response to oldebesr

Scott,

Does anyone know how to add highlighted (target) ranges to a line graph in numbers? I would like to plot lab values vs time with the healthy target ranges highlighte on the graph.

You can set the fill color of the chart to "none", then place a color filled rectanel behind the chart to highlight the "healthy" range... like this:

User uploaded file

Also, is there a way to have multiple data sets charted vs time (again multiple lab values) and design the chart so that you can select which data sets to display at once for comparison?

To change the number of series included on a chart, click the chart, then grab (click, and hold) the small circle at the bottom right of the graph source data, then drag to the right (as needed) to add series:

User uploaded file

Dec 10, 2012 9:52 AM in response to oldebesr

Your several questions are interrelated.

The colored box behind the chart works well if your Y-axis minimum and maximum are always the same. If they change automatically due to modifications to the data in your table or from choosing different data sets that need different limits to make a decent looking chart then the static box won't work well for you. You can, however, set the min and max in the Inspector so they will not change.

Another method would which does not require a colored box and that adjusts with the chart is to plot two additional series, one for "healthy low" and one for the "healthy high". The "healthy low" will have a constant value for all X data points, as will the "healthy high". Additionally, you can then choose which "low" and "high" to display at the same time you are choosing which data series to display.

One way to make a chart with selectable data is shown below in a simple example:

User uploaded file

G1 =B1&IF(B$2,""," (Not Shown)")

Fill to the right

G3 =IF(B$2,B3,"")

Fill to the right and to the bottom

F3 = A3

Fill down

I can't think of an easy way to display only the chosen data sets and not have the "not shown" sets in the legend (other than turning off the legend altogether). While it might be possible (and more complicated) to get all the "not showns" at the end of the list, they'll still be there. One advantage of the way it is now is that Series 1 will be the same color & data point shape on all charts (as will the others series); all charts will be consistent.

how to add highlighted ranges on a chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.