Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Programs not registering all my ram

I'm using a early 2011 MacBook Pro, 13 inch, 320gb HDD and 4gb ddr3 ram.

I recently upgraded to 8gb ram, however in boot camp (windows) I have noticed that some program's are saying that I only have 2.16gb of ram.

When I open the computer window in windows explorer it says I have 8gb but in task manager it says I have about 2gb and planet side 2 has an fps of about 5 at the lowest possible render and graphical settings, other third-party program's also insist that I only have about 2gb. I have looked on many forums that give around 20 different causes, some said something about me having to edit BIOS, if that will help you understand my problem. Please can someone give me a more specific cause or a solution if you have experienced the same or a similar problem.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:33 PM

Windows 32 bit can not use more than about 3.5GB ram total. Windows 64 bit can use all your ram. Which Windows do you have installed?

8 replies

Dec 10, 2012 9:53 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Okay so turns out I am using windows 7 32 - bit (Thanks for the solution), but now when I put in the windows 7

64 - bit disc it says I can't install it or something like that, so my second quetion is: can you upgrade from 32 - bit to 64 - bit without upgrading the version (Vista to Win7) and if not, would buying Win8 64 - bit solve the problem?

Programs not registering all my ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.