Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 loses data connection and won't get it back unless Resetting

Hi everyone,

I bought my iPhone 5 about a month ago and I've noticed some issues regarding my data connectivity.

It has happened three times within the last month: out of nowhere, the phone loses data connection. The phone itself will work but I cannot use any internet-based functionality. This has even happened when I used my home WiFi connection, and while it appeared to have full signal and my WiFi was working fine in other devices, iPhone stopped receiving any data.

My original thoughts are that -occasionally- if 3G signal or WiFI is lost, the phone for some reason won't re-connect automatically. However, I haven't noticed it when I get off the tube, where there's not signal, so I'm not sure what causes the problem.. I'm not even sure whether it's a software or a hardware issue. All these times, I had to reset the network settings in order to get it working again, which is ok as a temporary solution, but in no case acceptable for such an expensive device.

On top of that, there have been 2 times so far where people could not hear me on the other end of the line, but only when I put my phone close to my face (and obviously this is not because my face touches the mute button..!). When I put it away or put it on speaker, they can hear me fine. So I guess there is an issue with my microphone as well.

I'm with 3 UK, but I bought the phone from an Apple Store. I'm having an appointment with an Apple Genious this week, so hopefully they will replace the phone with one that works ok.

Did any of you have any relevant experience in the UK? Thoughts?

Cheers,

T.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:36 PM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2012 5:30 AM in response to thanosgr9

I work in an office that is behind several concrete walls and gets very poor signal. Everyday I will lose my cell signal and when going back outside I am unable to reconnect to network without either turning on/off airplane mode, or turning phone off and on.

Took phone to Apple store, along with video of problem, and was given a new phone. Problem still exists and was told to set up phone as new iphone. Again did this and problem still exists. When leaving office phone shows edge service and the bars litterally bounce from 1 - 5 and the "E" will turn into a circle like bullseye back to "E" and then just keeps doing this till reset.

Never an issue with 4 or 4s. About ready to say to heck with iphone and move to the dark side with an android Galaxy S3.

Also have had issue when entering elevators at hospital. THis can be a huge issue as I am a firefighter/emt and all calls come across our phones now.

Any ideas from anyone....apple has been less than helpful

Feb 26, 2013 2:37 PM in response to thanosgr9

I have the same issue with my Iphone 5. It is a hardware issue with the Iphone 5 antenna. I took my wife's Iphone 5 and my Iphone 5, both on the same IOS version, and ran the exact same apps at the exact same time and mine took a big dump while hers kept running perfectly. Solution....1. Narrow down how to make it take a dump. For mine, I run a station on IHeartRadio, check Facebook, check my email, load a lengthy webpage, and send a Imessage in the middle of the page loading. My phone will drop connection EVERY time. 2. Make an appointment at apple. 3. Tell em the issue and let them goof around with it. 4. Every time they say they fixed it, stand right there and force it to lose data connection. 5. Eventually they will run out of cheap fixes and give you a new phone. 6. STAND THERE AND ATTEMPT TO FORCE IT TO LOSE CONNECTION. Do not leave yet!!!! Repeat steps 4 to 6 until you get a phone that does not lose connection. A friend of mine went through 8 phones before getting one that did not lose connection. I am making my appointment now, finally got tired of it crapping out 10 or more times a day.

iPhone 5 loses data connection and won't get it back unless Resetting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.