Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac g4 hdd issues Help if possible, please

Hello, I have an iMac g4 17inch and I have the following issue, I needed to get all the docs and crap off of it to back it up. When i woul plug an external into it, nothing would happen. I checked all setting and nothing. I opened it up and pulled the hdd out of it. I plugged it into a windows based machine and the os didnt see the hdd. I put the hdd back into the imac and when i boot, i get a flashing folder with a "?" question mark. I pluged the hdd back into vista and when i look, the hdd is unformatted. I flipped the s*** and got scared. How would I be able to recover the information off of the hdd without it having to be bootable afterwards? I dont have another mac to work with but I will get one if i need to.

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:08 PM

The HD is probably formated in a way that Windows computer don't recognize, so they assume it is unformatted. On the other hand the drive could be dead.

If you have the original install disks, put them in the CD drive and start or restart while holding down the 'C' key to boot from the install disk. Then run Disk Utility and try to repair the hard drive.

It's been solong since I ran OS 9.2, it might have been called Disk First Aid back then.

If that doesn't work, put the drive an an external enclosure and take it to a friend who has a Mac and see if he can read it on his Mac.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2012 7:08 PM in response to ragrelo96

The HD is probably formated in a way that Windows computer don't recognize, so they assume it is unformatted. On the other hand the drive could be dead.

If you have the original install disks, put them in the CD drive and start or restart while holding down the 'C' key to boot from the install disk. Then run Disk Utility and try to repair the hard drive.

It's been solong since I ran OS 9.2, it might have been called Disk First Aid back then.

If that doesn't work, put the drive an an external enclosure and take it to a friend who has a Mac and see if he can read it on his Mac.

Good luck.

imac g4 hdd issues Help if possible, please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.