Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

85W MagSafe Adapter gone bad... How to minimize the damage to my MacBook Pro's internal battery?

Hi,

My 85W MagSafe adapter went bad because the cable that goes out from the AC/DC converter box to the computer's MagSafe port seems to be strained and is providing in-and-out power, problem is that yestersday I noticed that the cable overheated so I decided to stop using the adapter and computer until I order a new one. Problem is that the fact that I will leave the computer unused makes me uneasy on how it will affect the computer's battery life. The current state of the battery as of last night was 100% charged (most likely dropped to 99% today).

Given my situation, what should I do to reduce any negative impact to my battery during non-use period on my computer, until I can get a new (or refurbished) AC MagSafe adapter?

Many thanks for your assistance!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 4GB; 500GB HDD; NVIDIA 330M GT 256

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:58 PM

you can leave it as is. Apple only recommends long term storage of the battery if the mac will not be used for 6 months or longer.

6 replies

Dec 9, 2012 7:45 PM in response to vea1083

Good Evening,

Thanks for your insights on the matter! I am thinking of getting the adapter from OWC (Other World Computing - www.macsales.com). The adapter is on this web page:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MC556LLA/

I am inclined to get this adapter because is a little more economic (seems to be refurbished) compared to the one in the Apple Store and also that my MacBook Pro is my primary on-the-road/school computer. For now, I am using my Windows desktop PC in a substitution capacity to get critical jobs done.

What do you think about getting a refurbished adapter? Is it risky? (I do trust OWC more than vendors at Ebay)

shldrtothewheel wrote:

you can leave it as is. Apple only recommends long term storage of the battery if the mac will not be used for 6 months or longer.

Thanks for your reply... I will follow your suggestion.

Courcoul wrote:

Just turn it off so the battery doesn't drain off completely before the new power brick arrives. You mentioned it won't be used till then. Sleeping Macs still consume power.

It is my custom to shut down my MacBook Pro on any instances where I will stop using the computer for more than 1 hour. Yet when the computer is shut down, the charge drops less than 1% for every 24 hours based on what I have seen previously and is why I said that the battery charge level was most likely at 99% (the computer still uses a certain amount of electricity to keep the computer's internal clock running from what I have been told). However, this charge level drop is significantly smaller in shut down mode when compared to "sleep" mode in which I have seen that the computer can go down a few percentage points down during the time the computer is sleeping since the battery has the RAM on for fast access when the computer is taken out of sleep mode.

Anyways, there is nothing to worry about because the computer has been shut down.

Thanks for your insight!

OGELTHORPE wrote:

This article will confirm shldrtothewheel's reply:

http://http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

You may rest easy.

Ciao.

Noted. Thanks for the article link and will follow its recommendations.

85W MagSafe Adapter gone bad... How to minimize the damage to my MacBook Pro's internal battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.