Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the "other" data on my iPod?

What is the "other" data storage on my iPod touch?

iPod touch

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:25 PM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2012 6:02 AM in response to Laura.Kohler

It include items that are not included in the other listed categories. Hence the name "other". It include album artwork.

If it greater than 1/2 to 1 1/2 GB that usually indicates that the "other" included corrupted files. Usually restoring from backup eliminated the corrupted files. However, sometimes restoring to factory settings/new iPod is required.

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

To restore to factory settings/new iPod see:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

Jan 15, 2013 6:56 AM in response to lllaass

I had an issue with "other" files on my phone and I did the 'delete' swipe on the music app in 'settings'/ 'usage' on the iphone which was recommended online. This fixed the problem but my music player on the phone seemed to be messed up ever since, it keeps skipping songs and if I choose to play an album it will shuffle through the entire album, skipping songs, then it will play 2 songs and then stop, assuming it thinks it played the entire album.

Are these things connected or has anyone had this problem with the music app?

I have just gone into do the music app thing again and instead deleted my music, and now I have "other" files of over 6 GB. When I try to sync to get the music back on (haven't changed anything from this morning) I am now told that my iphone is overcapacity by 800 MB although if anything I deleted some photos.

I'm not very technical, this is very frustrating. Does apple have plans to do an update to eliminate this issue?

Jan 15, 2013 6:57 AM in response to Cora123

Sometimes files just get corrupted.

An "other" that large usually indicates that the "other" includes corrupted files. Usually restoring from backup eliminated the corrupted files. However, sometimes restoring to factory settings/new iPod is required.

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

To restore to factory settings/new iPod see:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

What is the "other" data on my iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.