Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost icons on button mba 2012 mountain lion

After waking up my mba, I found all the icons on buttons, such as arrows, share button, are all missed. The button turned to be a blank square. After restarting, it did not change.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Please help me! Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:29 PM

5 replies

Dec 13, 2012 11:36 PM in response to yzhou

I am having the same problem on my rMBP. It happened a month ago. I then completely reinstalled the OS and didn't use migration assistant. The problem went away.

Now, a month later, my MBP woke up from sleep and wouldn't allow me to open Safari. I rebooted, and now my icons are gone again!

I did install the latest MBP update that was released (or at least noticed by me) today. I recall doing the same thing back a month or so ago right before it happened the first time.

This also seems to be related to:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145309?answerId=19230426022#19230426022

Apr 9, 2013 9:03 AM in response to yzhou

Same problem here (10.8.3 full up-to-date OS)...

Button icons vanished 15 days ago...

Today, after waking from sleep, several critical errors forced me to reboot my machine (Parallels and Safari crashed). After reboot, I can't do login with any user. Once entered the password, a gray screen appeared for about 5 seconds, then I was back to the login screen.

I rebooted my rMBP in Safe Boot (reboot while keeping pressed SHIFT). The login in safe boot was successful. Reboot in normal mode, ALL PROBLEMS VANISHED. Now I've got back my icons in all apps and, of course, I can do the login.

HTH...

Apr 28, 2013 8:35 AM in response to yzhou

Take a look at the thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4498102?answerId=21607203022#21607203022

It already describes the same OS X bug, which started with 10.8.2 + Graphics "performance" update and is fully integrated in 10.8.3.

Be cautious - you should disable hibernation (suspend to disk) because that bug can damage (system) files.

A temporary workaround is to boot into safe mode (hold shift key during reboot), login and reboot.

The OS X bug affects multiple systems - in my case one of the first MBPr - others have the issue with "ordinary" MBP - others with MBA.

lost icons on button mba 2012 mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.