Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone restore progress stuck

Hi, Im trying to restore my iPhone 4 with ios 6.0.1

When i try restore with itunes the progress bar hung at about 20% after multiple trys for over 24hrs . I have tried DFU mode restore and no luck either.

Ive read a few forums, some members reccomended a hard restart after a while but itunes says device is disconnected which makes sense.

Ive tried redownloading the IPSW with no success, other PCs and USB port(s).

I performed a backup right before the problem first occuring in itunes so am not worried about the loss of data and was on ios 6.0. before the problems

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:57 PM

8 replies

Dec 9, 2012 10:08 PM in response to bagerkeon

YOu may have to restore as new..Settings, General,Reset and Erase all Contents and Settings. This will put it back to the new state the phone was originally in. As you are setting it up you will be given a option to restore as new, restore from icloud or restore from itunes. Select the correct backup to restore from and it should bring your phone to a stable state.

Dec 10, 2012 3:45 AM in response to bagerkeon

So if it it itunes that is hung up also, you can try a couple of things with the computer 1) shut down and restart or 2) go to task manager and force quit the itunes application. Once you get itunes back to working properly you need to check your system and itunes for updates, this could be causing the problem. If your phone had the picture of itunes and the connector your phone was in recovery and you needed to put the connecter into the USB ONLY, not the phone connected. After connecting the USB to the computer you hold down the home button on the phone while plugging the phone into connector. Hold the button on the phone until itunes recognized the phone and then release. Not really sure where you are at this point. Good luck!

Dec 11, 2012 3:46 AM in response to tonyawhite

I just got an iPhone 4 or possibly 4S, not sure which my wife bought, to replace a 2008-2009 vintage iPhone 3.

Backed up the old one to iTunes and then started the process to activate the new one by restoring from iTunes.

Right away the minutes to completion started adding up, and they have not stopped. The progress box currently reports it will take 132 hours to finish restoration, but that number will go up some more by the time I finish typing this post.

I'm not sure what to do. It won't let me eject the phone from iTunes, probably because the endless restore is in progress. Do I unplug the USB cord? Try to power off the phone? Force iTunes to quit? Shut the computer down? I'm not even sure how to stop this process.

Once I stop it, then what?

Dec 11, 2012 5:01 AM in response to tcrayon

Managed to downgrade to ios 5.1.1 using redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3 but having the same trouble when i try to update to ios 6.

Tcrayon; sounds like the same problem im having. When i unplugged the USB cable from the PC or iphone, iTunes stopped the restore. Im thinking of staying on 5.1.1 for now. Even though IOS 6.0 worked on the phone previously, IOS 6.0.1 update procedure is too problematic.

Nov 1, 2015 5:18 AM in response to bagerkeon

1. Use Task Manager to Quit the iTunes
  2. Shut off the iPhone by long pressing the home and volume button together.
  3. By doing 1 & 2 your iPhone will be back as before it was hung.
  4. Your iTunes also will not record the Restoration attempt.
  5. NOTE: If you purchase a new iPhone and want to use your old iPhone Apps and Datas - Do as below
  • If your old iPhone is OS is 6 for example your new iPhone iOS have to be later than OS 6
  • Then after confirmation backup your old iPhone in your iTunes.
  • The connect your iTunes with your new iPhone and select Retore Backup in your new iPhone
  • ENJOY

iphone restore progress stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.