Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with iPhoto' 09 version 8.1.2. I can't access my photos in media browser when sending an email. When I create a new library and add a few photos, it works. When I copy the photo library the same problem occurs. What can I do?

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with iPhoto' 09 version 8.1.2. I can't access my photos in the media browser when sending an email or with any other programs I want to add photos. When I create a new library and add a few photos, it works. When I copy the photo library the same problem occurs. What are my options to solve this problem? I have over 1800 pictures in 40 or more events.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:18 AM

10 replies

Dec 10, 2012 8:21 AM in response to howdymac

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Dec 10, 2012 12:27 PM in response to howdymac

Hello TD,

I backed up my library, tried both fixes in option 1 and they did not work.

I downloaded iPhoto manager and after opening the program, I have had no success adding my library to the iPhoto library manager (file - add libraryor using the icon).

In the first window on the left: (iPhoto libraries) it only shows Default. In the second window in the middle: (Album in default) it reveals 0 photos, 0 Last 12 months, 0 last import and 0 flagged. In the last widow on the right: (Info for default), it shows location of my library and below, it provides the size version and modification date.

I can launch iPhoto from the icon in the top right hand corner of the manager but can't bring it into this program to rebuild. Is there something else I need to do?

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2012 10:22 PM in response to howdymac

because its XML file contains no image records.

Which is also the reason that the Media Broswer doesn't work.

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed. Look for a file called AlbumData.xml. Drag it to the trash and then restart iPhoto. This will regenerate this file. See does that work.

Regards

TD

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with iPhoto' 09 version 8.1.2. I can't access my photos in media browser when sending an email. When I create a new library and add a few photos, it works. When I copy the photo library the same problem occurs. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.