Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don't .png files display in Safari for iPhone, iPad?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, (his)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:42 AM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2012 4:27 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

James,

Thanks for your response. The image was on a site I maintain. I have already replaced the image with a jpg, which works fine. I believe I can duplicate the problem, if you think it is worth it. Gimme a few...

http://www.oaksbible.org/Contents/about2.html is the page with the png I restored to use.

http://www.oaksbible.org/Contents/about.html is the page with the replacement jpg

Just checked. The png still does not display on iPhone(5) or iPad(3). The image was also made by me in pixelmator and both (png and jpg) were exprted from pixelmator.

thanks again,

Tim

Dec 11, 2012 5:52 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

James,

thanks again.

That non-javascript menu shows up when a requested page does not exist; so you have a typo in the filename you entered. AND about2.html is not in the menu system, I made it for you to look at, but the page is there. Please try again.

This is what my iPhone5 shows (sorry so big) the missing image is the png, previously mentioned

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2012 6:20 AM in response to Tim McCoy

Well, there are several other PNG files displaying with no problem (facebook icon, arrow icon on the menu), so unless there is something extraorinary about that specific file, its not the image format. Acouple of things to look at:

• Try changing the file name to somthing with ut a period (".") in it.
  • Check any server side scripts that may be running.

Dec 11, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Its say the file szie is an important issue. Its a huge file. Even on my fast connection it takes a while to download. The iPad and iPhone probably can't handie images that big in memory.

Yoy may want to optimize it and reduce it.

There's no reason to have an almost 7MB image file, at 2,550px × 3,300px when you are reducing it to 660px × 800px.

Why not make it that size to beign with? For web purposes, unless its a an image that really requires the large format and incredibly large file size, images should not be exceeding 500Kb.

Optimize that image for the web, the JPG is still huge, but slightly less so than the PNG at only 4.8 MB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.