Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 11 - I cannot Airplay to Networked Devices, Home sharing not working plus more...

I upgraded to iTunes 11 and now I cannot AirPlay to my Apple TV or my Yamaha AirPlay Enabled receiver from my iTunes on Windows 7 x 64 pc. I am able to airplay from another PC with the same configuration but using iTunes 10.6.x. Here are all the issues I noticed..

1. Cannot see AirPlay devices on the network (ATV3, ATV2, AV Receiver)
  2. Homesharing has stopped working
  3. Cannot see other Shared Libraries
  4. Cannot Remote Control this iTunes Library from iPhone/iPad

I have tried a whole bunch of tricks, tips and solutions available on these discussions, including reinstalling iTunes, opening ports, disable firewall, static IPs, disable IPv6, restarting PCs, routers, fixing media metadata, NoSleep on ATVs.. I mean you name it.

Also tried the MSCONFIG Trick mentioned here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2292?viewlocale=en_US

I have also noticed that Bonjour logs this error to the Application Events :

Client application registered 2 identical instances of service iTunes_Ctrl_9579407E1BA8B146._dacp._tcp.local. port 3689.

Paid Apple support to get some answers but they are absolutly clueless. They have no idea what is going on and what to fix here. I guess they are too busy fixing the Maps app 😁.

Looks like something is going on with iTunes and Bonjour. I use the Bonjour Discovery app on my iPhone to see if iTunes home sharing is working or not and the app is fantastic.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discovery-bonjour-browser/id305441017?mt=8

When you use the app, you can see how home sharing just appears for few minutes and then its gone.

So my last line of defence is this community filled with some awesome brains who can possibly figure out some root cause of this issue. Anyone who figures this out will be the next Apple God LOL and save us all the pain and time.

Thanks all for your help!

Apple TV (3rd generation), Windows 7

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:42 AM

8 replies

Dec 27, 2012 1:34 PM in response to VAMresh

I have the same issue and can play to no AirPlay speakers in my house right now, though they are visible to iTunes.

I did find this workaround, though, that may work if you have other, older Macs in your house. As it turns out, I have an older Mac mini running OS X 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6. I am able to share out my iTunes library from my new MacBook Air running OS X 10.7.5 and iTunes 11 to the old mini and then play whatever I want from that iTunes. Screen Sharing comes in very handy for this. The older version of iTunes seems to have no problem connecting up to the AirPlay speakers around my house.

Anyway, that's not a solution, and I have tried all the same things you did above. Additionally, I tried turning wifi off and on on my MBA that refuses to play to the AirPlay speakers. I did this because I noticed that the list of AirPlay speakers changes when the wifi connection drops and comes back. But that still didn't coax iTunes 11 to stream to AirPlay speakers.

Hope you or someone else might find this a helpful work-around till Apple fixes this for real.

Dec 31, 2012 9:33 AM in response to VAMresh

I had the same problem after updating to iOS 6 and the new iTunes. I tried all kinds of stuff and nothing worked. And then I tried a simple thing, and that fixed everything for me. I signed out of everything. Out of my iPhone, iPad, iTunes, everywhere I could find a log in on my devices and iTunes, I did. I signed in again everywhere and bam, and it's all back to working just fine. I see my airplay speaker, I can select it and music gets piped through it and my iPhone works as a remote again.

Jan 3, 2013 12:03 PM in response to VAMresh

I have exactley the same problem. However, get this I also have an Apple TV so in desperation I closed down iTunes on my Mac Mini switched on the apple TV went to air play and it found my speaker and started streaming from the Cloud to the speakers. No dropping coughing or spluttering just as it should be. Distance between Apple TV and speaker on a different floor.

Ergo the problem lies within iTunes. It cannot be the network as ATV is on the same wireless network.

Mac Mini Dec 2012, Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, 2 ipads, 2 iphones.

Nov 30, 2013 5:38 PM in response to VAMresh

This issue is driving me nuts! I had orignally uninstalled itunes 11, but was forced to upgrade at ios7. The only Win PC (Win 7) in the house will not show up in home sharing or show Airplay when itunes 11 is open. Won't show Apple TV or Airport Express. I uninstalled Norton 360, reinstalled Bonjour, Checked setting in my Motorola Cable modem, Windows firewall....

HELP!

Nov 30, 2013 6:51 PM in response to BenOr

BenOr, please try this post. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3507281?start=0&tstart=0

Many people were able to resolve it by disabling IPV6 on their network adapter (s). My problem was that I have two wired network adapters on my desktop and I was using them in teaming mode. It was all working and then suddently one day it stopped. So recently I removed the teaming option and it started working for me.

Dec 1, 2013 12:12 PM in response to VAMresh

Thanks VANresh -

After more time than I care to remember workign on this, it appears uninstalling Bonjour completely, then going to Apple and reintallign the newest version has fixed the issue. Multiple times now I have opened Itunes and the icon is there! I tried the repair feature and it did not work.

Itunes 11 - I cannot Airplay to Networked Devices, Home sharing not working plus more...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.