Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist vs. Album Artist in iTunes 11

When I click on "Artists," my music is displayed by "Album Arist" (IMHO, the most useless category in the song info window). This is especially problematic for classical music, where sometimes the performer/ensemble/conductor is listed as Album Artist, but also for soundtracks, etc, where many of the songs have "various artists" listed as Album Artist.

I have tried nulling (is that a word?) the Album Arist field from all of my songs, but iTunes keeps putting it back in there without asking me (this has been a problem with all iTunes versions I have ever used -- it overwrites info that I enter manually -- but that's a topic for another discussion).

How do I get iTunes to display by Arist, and NOT by Album Artist?

Thanks for any helpo.

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:36 AM

14 replies

Dec 10, 2012 12:34 PM in response to legomaniac

Album Artist is needed to join together the tracks of an album where guest artists are involved. I suspect the new artist view is designed to reduce the clutter that would be introduced if all non-album artists were included. Note too that in the new scheme selecting an artist lists just the albums where the artist is the album artist. Tracks on compilations by the same artist are listed elsewhere under the relevant album artist. This keeps albums grouped together as complete entities. Obviously this isn't going to be to everyone's taste.

If your tracks are write protected or you lack write permissions, which can sometimes happen after migrating your library, iTunes may appear to accept an update but not actually perform it. A similar result can occur with special cases of multiple tags where iTunes updates one tag, but reads back values from another.

tt2

Dec 10, 2012 12:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Ok, I guess I can see the need for an Album Artist category, if one actually wants to preserve album integrity in that way. But there should be a way to turn that sort feature off. I can't remember the last time I thought, "Gee, I'd really like to listen to all my 'various artist' tracks today" or "I'm in the mood for some Chicago Symphony Orchestra this evening." For me, it's almost always, "I'd like to listen to the soundtrack to [blank]" or "I want to listen to some Shostakovich." I agree that not all users will have the same taste...so is there a way to set up iTunes so that I can use it the way I want?

I'm interested in the permission bit, too, so I'll have to research that a bit more. Would I really not have write permission for tracks if I've imported them from a CD I own? Or from MP3s I've created on my own? Is there a way to turn on such write permissions?

Thanks for your reply!

Message was edited by: legomaniac (corrected punctuation error)

Dec 10, 2012 12:54 PM in response to legomaniac

Select an album or two of tracks that won't behave, right-click and use Convert > ID3 Tags > None, repeat at least twice, then use Convert > ID3 Tags > ID3v2.3. You will need to reapply artwork. If you use my CreateFolderArt script first the artwork should still be in the folder, ready to be reinserted by the script after you've cleaned the tags. Tips on how to use the scripts at the top of the scripts page.

For myself I treat the composer of classical music as the Artist/Album Artist. For general tips on getting stuff sorted in iTunes see Grouping tracks into albums.

tt2

Dec 10, 2012 1:13 PM in response to legomaniac

I found it. Apparently, it's only available as an option in certain views -- if I look at "Artist" it won't allow me to convert ID3 tags, but if I look at the Song list, it will. That seems odd, but ok.

So, once I've done the ID3 --> None thing a bunch of times, and then ID3 --> 2.3, I should be able to edit the song info however I want, and have it stick permanently? I can't tell you how much happier this makes me. Now, all I have to do is delete Album Artist from all my files, and then I can stop complaining about that, right?

Thanks a bunch!

Dec 28, 2012 9:42 AM in response to legomaniac

I've just stumbled across the same issue. I found that the CDs I had imported did not have the album artist populated. I set the album artist value, leaving the artist unchanged (sometimes with multiple artists if the song had some colaboration). This resolved my issue and left me with one album in the album view which is what I wanted.

Hope this helps.

May 12, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Orest75

With classical music I'm generally more interested in the composer than the orchestra, conductor or soloist. In my library I have filled out the artist and album artist for all tracks, whereas the composer field is somewhat patchy. I could use the composer menus in iTunes or on my iDevices, but then I'd be wading through a jumble of multiple composers that are listed on my many non-classical tracks for the classical composers I might be looking for. You don't have to agree with me, I'm just telling you what I do.

tt2

Jul 27, 2015 8:48 AM in response to legomaniac

All I want to do is simply tell my iPhone to sort by "Artist" instead of "Album Artist".

In the Music app settings there is a "Sorting" section where you choose between "Artist" and "Title". However, choosing "Artist" is actually choosing "Album Artist". As the OP says, this field is USELESS for sorting...and is especially DETRIMENTAL for sorting classical music albums.

I have hundreds of classical albums and I don't want to manually go into each one and delete the "Album Artist" field for a few reasons:

1. What a pain!

2. It looks like it might revert back

3. That information is useful to know...but not for sorting purposes

It seems every time iTunes is "updated" it becomes less useful. So disappointing.

While I appreciate the poster who talked about ID3 tags, this just sounds too technical to me. This issue should not require a workaround.

Artist vs. Album Artist in iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.