Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Aperture support RAW in Canon 6D

I bought a brand new Canon 6D. Beautiful equipment! I'm hoping beautiful pictures. However, I can't see any of them in Aperture! The latest version of Lightroom 4 won't read the Canon 6D files either. Now what?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Aperture Version 3.4.3

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 2:09 PM

The Canon 6D is not yet on the list of supported cameras, see Apple - Aperture - Technical Specifications - RAW Support

While you are waiting for the raw support to be released, yo can do two things:

1. Shoot raw+jpeg pairs, and import them to Aperture with the jpeg as master. Later you can switch to raw as master.
  2. Use the software that came with your camera to develop the raw and convert to tiff. Then use the tiff in Aperture.

We don't know, when the raw support will be released, only Apple knows. Sorry.

Regards

LĂ©onie

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2012 2:09 PM in response to daveduncan

The Canon 6D is not yet on the list of supported cameras, see Apple - Aperture - Technical Specifications - RAW Support

While you are waiting for the raw support to be released, yo can do two things:

1. Shoot raw+jpeg pairs, and import them to Aperture with the jpeg as master. Later you can switch to raw as master.
  2. Use the software that came with your camera to develop the raw and convert to tiff. Then use the tiff in Aperture.

We don't know, when the raw support will be released, only Apple knows. Sorry.

Regards

LĂ©onie

Dec 10, 2012 2:18 PM in response to daveduncan

Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

Probably you will!

Nobody knows a camara so good as the manufacturer, so their raw support usually is the best, since the raw development has to be developed for each camera specifically. And third party software manufacturers usually only can begin to develop the raw support, after the camera has been released, that will take a while, if they want to do it well.

Feb 6, 2013 2:58 PM in response to William Lloyd

Under 10.6.8, the Dec 13th update reports "not supported on your system" so it's not just a raw format update, it's mixed in with some kind of OS-related change. Unfortunately completely useless to me.

Why would a camera format have anything to do with the OS level? Makes no sense whatsoever. It's either some kind of screwup or really bad design.

Guess it's back to Lightroom. Again. Or Canon's meagre effort, DPP. Sigh.

Feb 6, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks. I'll make do with DPP. The last OS upgrade was a complete disaster, blew out all my scripts and more. Now that I've got the system stable, I'm not inclined to let them at it again. Not interested in changing my OS past 10.6.8.

Even less so, now. Guess I feel pretty burned after buying Aperture 1 and 2 and 3 and not even being able to use it.

Although perhaps I can find a non-DPP solution out there somewhere that isn't unnecessarily and arbitrarily tied to the OS level. There are lots of developers out there.

When will Aperture support RAW in Canon 6D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.