Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Bootable Device Error when trying to bootcamp!

Hey guys I have been trying to bootcamp on and off for the past month or so now. Anyway I downloaded a windows 7 x32 bit iso from Microsoft's website. I then used Burn to burn it to a disc by doing: Copy> Dragging the image in> Mount and then right clicking on the image on the desktop and clicking burn to disc. Not bootcamp itself worked fine, a bit slow, but i managed to make a 100gb partition. Now whenever I try to boot into windows, I get the dreadfull "No bootable device - insert a bootable device and press any key"

I know the .iso is valid because i succesfully made a Parallels V<M with it, but parallels is too slow for skyrim.

I think its also important to note that I have using an external optical drive, since my dad got gum in it XD.

Anyways help is VERY MUCH appreciated! If you need anymore info, just ask.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:06 PM

17 replies

Dec 14, 2012 12:24 PM in response to saturnotaku

Okay so I found a similar tutorial, only a little more detailed. This can be found here: http://www.andrewsavory.com/blog/2011/2156

So I follow the instructions to a tee, but when I try to start the installation of the VM, I get a "Missing Operating System" Error.

Anyways Heres what I did:

Went to terminal and typed this in:

mkdir Virtual\ Machines

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0

Then This:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 3 windows7 ide

SO I enter those right in terminal as is and hit enter. Then I search using spotlight and found two files:

windows7-pt.vmdk and windows7.vmdk

So I follow the instructiopns again and I think I might be messing up at this step:

" You’ll then be taken to the Customize Settings screen, where you want to configure the ISO to boot from. Click on the CD/DVD (IDE) option [...]

And then select the location of your Windows 7 ISO:"

SO I choose my windows 7 x32 iso FIle and just close the window. Am I missing anything?

Dec 15, 2012 12:57 PM in response to Mac-Monster

Okay so I bought windows 8 pro (the purple box) and connected the drive and put in the disc. I still get the "No bootable device" error. This is a LEGIT disc, bought from walmart. I read that if the computer has a internal super drive, and external won't work. Well my internal won't work. What am I supposed to do? Can I trick my imac and power off the internal? Im currently using a Memorex external optical drive, but have access to an apple optical drive (external) if that helps.

PLEASE HELP!

Jan 3, 2013 8:23 PM in response to Mac-Monster

To throw in a different opinion... $150 is not required. A DVD is not required. Windows 8 is not required. Legit or not makes no difference. VMware Fusion should not be required, either. Because I've fixed it before without any of those.

Try to use an ISO of Windows 7 with a USB key/hard drive. Boot Camp Assistant can use your ISO file to image the USB key, and when Boot Camp Assistant finishes and reboots your Mac, it should install on the new "BOOTCAMP" hard drive partition from the USB key.

I've done this before on my 2012 MacBook Air w/ 10.8.2, which of course has no internal optical disc drive. Note, however, that the USB key/HDD is not 100% reliable for everyone. Sometimes, for example, you need a USB hard drive or different USB key. Sometimes you need to remove the "BOOTCAMP" partition and run the Boot Camp Assistant again, multiple times, until it is magically blessed. This happened to me -- it worked the 4th time through. I wish I knew why.

"No bootable device - insert a bootable device and press any key" does not have to do with the ISO necessarily. This can be caused by an error with your internal hard drive's MBR, for example. Your Mac should be detecting the Windows disk (whatever media it is using) as bootable. Otherwise, it cannot load the Windows installer. Any time that Windows 7 or its installer cannot be booted, it will cause this error.

I'm encountering this error myself on a different Mac right now. From gpt and fdisk and Disk Utility, the partitions and boot record look normal. The USB key is the same one that I used before; but it's not working now on this 2010 Air w/ 10.8.2, for some reason. Did you find any more information?

No Bootable Device Error when trying to bootcamp!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.