Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot create recovery... solution?

Trying to install Mountain Lion over Lion. Only have the one partition on my drive, no Bootcamp, no filevault, no time machine, drive is Mac OS Journaled. Eveything is kosher, seemingly, according to Apple's instructions.

Yet...

Cannot create recovery. And I can't even continue. What's going on?

Tried installing from the DMG, didn't work. Burned to a DVD, doesn't work. It doesn't seem like this should be this difficult. And I can't find a solution that looks like it'll fit this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:42 PM

6 replies

Dec 10, 2012 2:58 PM in response to ttggray

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then drag or copy the text — do not type it — into the Terminal window and press return:

diskutil list

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Dec 11, 2012 6:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 499.1 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 634.6 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_partition_scheme *4.8 GB disk1
1: Apple_partition_map 30.7 KBdisk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install ESD4.8 GB disk1s2

Cannot create recovery... solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.