Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverted to v10.7; getting error 42408

I used TimeMachine to revert from v11 to v10.7 iTunes is working fine, playlists, albums, etc. Except...at iTunes Store I'm getting 'an unknown error occurred (-42408)' when it first starts up and if I try to download, for instance, the free song of the week. I can play samples and browse the Store just fine. I also get error 42408 when I try to deauthorize/authorize this computer.

I've gone back a couple times in TM to an earlier iTunesLibrary.itl and tried 'previous iTunes Libraries' while in TM. I've also trashed com.apple.itunes.plist.

Any ideas appreciated...as opposed to ranting how you're going to switch over to the dark side.

:-)

Early 2009 Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), G4 Sawtooth; 10.4.11; several upgrades

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:04 PM

Installation of the new iTunes has installed a lot of files in a lot of places, and you have to restore the old versions. Any easy way (I've done it) involves the program Pacifist. Instructions are here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16400819&postcount=6

Note: no need to use "MacZapper". Just follow the instructions re. pacifist, and let pacifist replace the application as well as all of the auxilliary files. Every time pacifist asks if you want to replace a file, click replace.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2012 7:04 PM in response to David Cun

Installation of the new iTunes has installed a lot of files in a lot of places, and you have to restore the old versions. Any easy way (I've done it) involves the program Pacifist. Instructions are here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16400819&postcount=6

Note: no need to use "MacZapper". Just follow the instructions re. pacifist, and let pacifist replace the application as well as all of the auxilliary files. Every time pacifist asks if you want to replace a file, click replace.

Dec 11, 2012 6:35 AM in response to David Cun

I suspect error -42408 is due to residual later versions of support files than those which work with iTunes 10.7. Several possible options:

1) Restore them from another source (e.g., a Time Machine backup). Check https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4556384?answerId=20441424022#20441424022 which requires you have a Time Machine backup. A variant of this is at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4555626?answerId=20448184022#20448184022

2) Use Pacifist to re-install iTunes 10.7 and let it install the old versions over the new versions by responding "yes" when it asks if you want to replace files.

3) Untested. If you delete the specific iTunes system files the 10.7 installer might just replace them with the old version as long as it doesn't see a newer version in place.
This may include these files in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ which apparently get updated by iTunes 11:

AirTrafficHost.framework
CoreFP.framework
DeviceLink.framework
iTunesAccess.framework
MobileDevice.framework

Message was edited by: Limnos

Dec 11, 2012 8:27 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the replies. So...use TM to restore these?

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ which apparently get updated by iTunes 11:

AirTrafficHost.framework
CoreFP.framework
DeviceLink.framework
iTunesAccess.framework
MobileDevice.framework

Is that at HD/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

Or 'home'/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/?

Dec 11, 2012 8:34 AM in response to David Cun

I also ordered a 10.6 Install Disc from Apple. I needed one anyway. I thought I'd use it to then go to Utilities>TM and go back to a Previous Library.

One problem I'm having with my 'previous' files is that I've renamed the last couple of good ones. Now my previous files are too old; missing about 20 songs and three or four (meticulously created) playlists.

Dec 11, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Limnos

Yes, those are in 'HD' as opposed to 'Home'. They are quite embedded and I don't think I want to mess with all that.

I did use Time Machine to restore:

Album Artwork/

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Library.itl

Previous iTunes Libraries/

iTunes Music Library.xml

All to no avail. Still getting the error 42408 on Store startup and when I try to buy something.

Limnos...still using 10.4 huh? I must say that 10.6 is a great improvement. I haven't had to run Disk Utilities nor anything like TT Pro or Disk Warrior since going to it! How many years now? It's just very stable. And, I think most Macsters like iTunes 10 pretty well.

When I get the 10.6 Install Disc I might even do a System Restore; just get er done once and for all. 10.6 is so stable I've never had the need for something like Pacifist. Until iTunes 11 came along. On the other hand, seems like when iTunes 10 came out, there was an outcry too. But v11 is different; it's a complete overhaul. Actually, it seems many people like it; a few of us don't.

Thanks again.

Dec 11, 2012 12:40 PM in response to David Cun

My computer won't run anything newer than OSX 10.5. I don't want iTunes 10 or 9 or 8 because there's so much overhead on the marketing bells and whistles vs. the one or two minor improvements I might actually use (such as find exact duplicates). iTunes 7.5 is rock solid for me and does 95% of what I would actually use in iTunes 10 and probably 110% of what I would use in iTunes 11. 🙂

I haven't had to reinstall Tiger since it was first installed in 2005. I am still working off the same installation. I do have Diskwarrior but I bought it to use on another drive that had errors.

I don't know the details on those system files. If they are iTunes-specific then re-installing the operating system won't replace them with an earlier version. I don't know why you don't just use Pacifist. It looks like many others have successfully for just the problem you are encountering and I have seen the software recommended for years for other purposes too. Just make a clone backup of your computer and have at it.

Dec 11, 2012 1:35 PM in response to Limnos

I reinstalled with TM :

first : itunes 10.7

then : 'home'/Music/iTunes/

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Music Library.xml

then /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

AirTrafficHost.framework

CoreFP.framework

DeviceLink.framework

iTunesAccess.framework

MobileDevice.framework

and it works

My configuration : mac osx 10.6.8

Dec 11, 2012 3:14 PM in response to Limnos

I have success. yay

I used the Install Disc to run Utiliies>restore; using my TM external HD as the source. I did not do a system reinstall. My system is now completely as it was on Nov 28th...with a fully functional iTunes 10.7. I think it's the simplist method. I didn't have to go thru all those steps the other methods call for; most especially messing with Terminal.

Limnos, I dig how you've stuck with tried and true older machines, OS, and apps. Good for you!

Thanks also to fredgoodman and vcorma (and a few others) who offer help instead of rants and vitriol toward Apple.

🙂

Dec 11, 2012 3:21 PM in response to vcorma

'vcorma' Not to devalue what you've done, and I appreciate your posting. But, was that 10 steps you took? Eg use TM to restore iTunes Library.itl; then open again to restore iTunes Library Extras.itdb; then open again to restore iTunes Library Genius.itdb...and on down thru the list. Or, were you able to click on all those files and restore in one fell swoop?

Dec 12, 2012 3:55 PM in response to brygos

brygos...

After getting the OS Installer running, it will be ready to install the OS and ask for your preferred language. Stop. Click on "Utilities" at the top of the window. You'll be given the 'Restore' option and using your external TM backup disc. I must admit I wasn't real familiar with the process my own self...and ended up doing a 'system restore' from November 28th, the day before I updated to v11. It took about 30 mins. But, that's okay; I just did other stuff until it was finished.

Perhaps someone can chime in on how to do just the 'iTunes restore' instead of a 'system restore'. Or, maybe you'll see that option; maybe I just jumped in too quickly.

Dec 12, 2012 9:52 PM in response to David Cun

I did it in these three steps, each with TM

After reinstalling iTunes 10.7 I get an error about iTunes Library.itl which 'was built in an newer version than iTunes 10.7' (something like this, I don't remenber the exact sentence)

So, I reinstalled iTunes Library and Extract, Genius which where in the same directory and appeared to have the same date of modification.

After this, iTunes could work with the 42408 error when I run it ; but I couldn't synchronize my ipod ! It didn't appear in iTunes.

So I connected to this forum and find and apply the third and last step to retrieve files from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ (thanks to Limnos)

I had also to restore my ipod (from the resume panel of iTunes)

Now, all is perfect 😉

Reverted to v10.7; getting error 42408

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.