Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Disk Utility to formatting Micro SDHD 10 card

The first time I formatted the 32gb Micro sdhd card with MS-DOS/FAT for the car's camera...all was well. Then recorded some HD movies with the camera as I drive (the car's camera has a built-in DVR), then attached to the MacBook Pro via USB to download. The computer would not recognize the Micro SD card and want to initialize...hmm! So, open Disk Utility and format as ExFAT...5hrs pass and it's still half way...7hrs pass and it's still half way.

I don't think it's doing anything as it starts halfway, and a minute left which stretches to 7hrs. I tried both MS-DOS/FAT and EXFAT...same thing. Is there any solution?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:52 PM

8 replies

Dec 10, 2012 7:54 PM in response to Ralston Champagnie

Regardless where that SDHC card is formatted, you should take great care that it is properly unmounted from the Mac desktop before you disconnect the camera. Otherwise, you could corrupt that data card, as several posts in the community have discovered.

Secondly, it is important to know if the Camera is compatible with iMovie '11. Here is the iMovie Supported Camera selector. If your videos are in AVCHD video format, here is how to get them off the camera.

Dec 10, 2012 8:38 PM in response to Ralston Champagnie

Well, it's quite possible that the card is corrupt as I can't formatt it with the camera (it's not hightlighting so I can select it. The camera's manual doesn't specifically state that the Micro Sd card should only be formatted with the camera. Interestingly, the camera says the disk is full but my Mac only sees 8.4mb in the left hand side of disk utility. I forgot to mentioned that I tried using Windows XP that's also on my Mac via Virtualbox and that just gave me a headache trying to go throught that system,,,( really can't stand Windows...I have been using Macs since the late 80's, so you can understand)

My best bet is to consult Kingston on how to recover a corrupted Micro SDHD card.

Using Disk Utility to formatting Micro SDHD 10 card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.