Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

computer crashed and shots off by itself

my computer continues to shot down by itself. I turn the computer on, you here the chime, apple and gear comes on and then it shots off. It recently crashed and I re installed everything. I performed a hardware test and detected error #: 4hdd/11/40000004:sata(0,0). Please if anyone knows what this means and what I need to do,... HELP!!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:06 PM

4 replies

Dec 11, 2012 8:29 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Unfortunatly, my external back up quit working as of Nov. 18th, but at least I have that. Do you know if there's a way of using my external WD and backing the informations (or some of it) onto my MacBook? I think for my IMac, I will need a new mother board, which I can't afford at the moment, so I have to wait. Please help if you can. Unfortunatly I am disable and this darn puter is my life. Thanks in advance.

Dec 11, 2012 9:11 AM in response to darinkabellhasty

Did safe boot improve things?

It is not too clear exactly what you have or what you know about what quit working.

It is often practical to move a working hard drive from a non-working drive enclosure to another enclosure.

It may be best to concentrate on getting a more recent backup first even if this involves buying another external disk.

A detailed list of your computers and external disks etc may help me to advise you.

computer crashed and shots off by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.