Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro HDD Question S.M.A.R.T

Hi,

I recently bought TechTool Pro 6 and ran a scan on my MacBook as it has become very slow and non responsive. I have wiped the drive (zeroing it out) and reinstalled OSX Mountain Lion on it.

TechTools susgets that thre is an issue with "Current Pending Sector Count"

Defined as:

Current Pending Sector Count S.M.A.R.T. parameter is a critical parameter and indicates the current count of unstable sectors (waiting for remapping). The raw value of this attribute indicates the total number of sectors waiting for remapping. Later, when some of these sectors are read successfully, the value is decreased. If errors still occur when reading some sector, the hard drive will try to restore the data, transfer it to the reserved disk area (spare area) and mark this sector as remapped.

I ran a full Sector check on the drive that took 5 hours. There where no bad sectors found.

Does this mean that there is nothing worng with the HDD? Is there a way to Low Level Format the drive? Is there a ChkDsk option avaliable in OSX?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 3.1, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 4:44 AM

5 replies

Dec 11, 2012 11:06 AM in response to JayBird2009

What's the S.M.A.R.T.status as stated by Disk Utility?

If after a complete erase/wipe and reinstall, the condition persists, it is time to start thinking of a HDD replacement. If under warranty, that should be at no cost for a new HDD of exact same capacity. Else, time to start window shopping for what you'll want to replace it with.

Excellent opportunity for a large-capacity upgrade....

Macbook Pro HDD Question S.M.A.R.T

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.