Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view login password for local NAS device

This has me stumped! Any thoughts greately appreciated.

I setup a client's DNS-325 Network Attached Storage device (NAS) from his MBP runing OS X Lion (10.8) and Safari 6.02.

When you setup this device it makes you set an Admin password (no defaults), this is more secure so I don't mind. I recorded the password on a notpad - can't find the notepad.

I didn't panic because I "know" the password will be stored in his Keychain on the MBP. Except I can't find it!

Since this is a local device, it has a local address - 10.0.0.240. Usually you search the keychain for that address, or just .240 or 240 and up it pops! This time nada. For a sanity check, I looked up his local router (10.0.0.1) - no problem, its there.

I also searched "DNS", "NAS", "325" and "Dlink" without any luck.

What the heck is going on?

I looked at the saved form info inside Safari, and its not there (nothing is there actually, its blank).

But, when I go to the device in Safari, the password is PRE-FILLED OUT!!! Argh! Its gotta be stored someplace!!

Where? How?

Oh sure, I can RESET the device and start over. That is my backup plan. But I hate to give up.....

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:55 AM

1 reply

Can't view login password for local NAS device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.