Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing files

Using iTunes 11 on an old PC running XP. I see many songs in my library that show "!". When I click it says the files are missing. There are many of these. The menu tree in windows explorer is ver confusing and it looks like there are many places this music could be. How can I Fix this? I have tried consolidate library but that does not seem to have worked

Windows XP

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:40 AM

This happens if the file is no longer where iTunes expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, or that the drive it lives on has had a change of drive letter. It is also possible that iTunes has changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout,or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to get info, then cancel when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drive(s). Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, or a drive letter has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions.

Alternatively, as long as you can find a location holding the missing files, then you should be able to use my FindTracks script to reconnect them to iTunes. (But the website is temporarily down. 😟 )

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2012 9:40 AM in response to Craig Mooney

This happens if the file is no longer where iTunes expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, or that the drive it lives on has had a change of drive letter. It is also possible that iTunes has changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout,or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to get info, then cancel when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drive(s). Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, or a drive letter has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions.

Alternatively, as long as you can find a location holding the missing files, then you should be able to use my FindTracks script to reconnect them to iTunes. (But the website is temporarily down. 😟 )

tt2

Dec 11, 2012 10:51 AM in response to turingtest2

There are so many confusing folders, where should these files live?

I have many fiolders and Files that seem duplicate

my music\itunes

my music\itunes\Previous iTunes Libraries

my music\itunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\ - 7 files with Itunes Library with dates from 2007-2012

my music\itunes\iTunes Music\Music -There are many folders here with various artists

my music\itunes\iTunes

my music\itunes\iTunes\iTunes with files "Itunes Library" (database file) and "iTunes Music Library" (XML Doc)

my music\itunes\iTunes\iTunes\Music - There are many folders here with various artists

my music\itunes\iTunes\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries - here ther are two files iTunes 4 Music Library and Itunes Library for 2006

Dec 11, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Craig Mooney

Do this bit:

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to get info, then cancel when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be.

If should begin file://localhost/

Post back the result.

FYI this is what the iTunes folders normally look like...

User uploaded file

However don't move anything around by hand. Let's try to understand what has happened first.

tt2

Dec 11, 2012 11:21 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok...a little further info.

we have two XP logins one called Craig and Linda and the other is called Linda Ipod

I am loged in as linda ipod

I see that the file I cant play is at File://localhost/c;/Documents and Settings/Craig and Linda/My documents/My Music/iTunes/itunes music/Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin III/07 Tangerine.m4a

A file that I can play is found at c;\ Documents and Settings\Linda Ipod\my documents\my music\itunes\itunes music\music\Eric Clapton\August\03 tearing us apart.m4a

I am running iTune 11

Dec 11, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Craig Mooney

Hmm, two libraries complicates things.

File://localhost/c;/Documents and Settings/Craig and Linda/My documents/My Music/iTunes/itunes music/Led Zeppelin/Led Zeppelin III/07 Tangerine.m4a

is the iTunes representation of

C:\Documents and Settings\Craig and Linda\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin III\07 Tangerine.m4a

which we're comparing to

C:\Documents and settings\Linda Ipod\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes\iTunes Music\Led Zeppelin\Led Zeppelin III

Either you made a mistake typing or there is a bonus iTunes folder in there... Moving iTunes Music up one level ought to fix that.

tt2

Dec 11, 2012 1:10 PM in response to Craig Mooney

Sorry for not being clear. It looks as if the whole folder iTunes Music needs to be moved from:

C:\Documents and settings\Linda Ipod\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes\

up to:

C:\Documents and settings\Linda Ipod\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

unless I've misunderstood.

Are there any other folders inside

C:\Documents and settings\Linda Ipod\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

apart form one called iTunes that contains another called iTunes Music ?

tt2

Missing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.