Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can gmail go to Trash NOT Archive?

iPhone 4S running iOS6. Using GMail IMAP, set up using Microsoft Exchange option rather than the plain Gmail setup.

When I Trash (yes I have a Trash Can icon) via iPhone, the "Trashed" email goes to All Mail.

When I Trash an email using a web browser on computer, it does in fact go to Trash (I have that selected in GMail Settings).

I'm pretty sure I used to be able to Trash on iPhone. I have searched forums and found this link illustrating an Archive On/Off featurebut I do not see that in my IOS mail set up.

Mac mini (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:24 AM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2012 10:23 AM in response to paulcb

A) please note paragraph 4 link to that exact instruction and I state my settings do NOT list Archive On/Off! I note that if I have Gmail set up with a Gmail account type, rather than Exchange account type then it DOES show up but I'm not sure I'm losing functionality without Exchange type setup.

B) I have tried the Gmail ap but it does not support UNthreaded view which is the only way I can work efficiently with Gmail. So until it does (was hoping it would with recent 2.0 version!) I'll stick with iOS ap.

Dec 12, 2012 9:39 AM in response to Hotkey

And an update to the last part of my prior note A) If I use the Gmail version of iOS mail setup, it does NOT support PUSH mail, only Fetch and Manual, so thats out as an option.

So, I'm still asking my original question which is "How can I get Trashed mail (Using the Trash Can icon) to actually go to Trash and not archive in All Mail with my Exchange iOS mail set up for my GMail IMAP account?".

I hope there is a solution.

How can gmail go to Trash NOT Archive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.