Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off apple tv remote on my mac?

I have an apple tv March 2012 and June 2012 macbook pro how do you turn off the apple remote support on the macbook pro? Everytime I use the remote and the apple tv and my mac is on the remote keeps going into my itunes on my mac.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:42 PM

PokemonFan,

On your MacBook Pro, go to System Preferences...>Security and Privacy>Privacy>Advanced and "Disable remote control infrared receiver."

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

10 replies

May 18, 2014 4:52 PM in response to chrisdadthomas

I don't have two remotes, so can't fully confirm if it works properly or not, but there is a "pair" function. As can be seen in the image, it says "Unpair" under the option "Disable remote control IR receiver". This is because Ferd II must have one paired.

However, it normally says "Pair...". If you click that, it will tell you how to pair the remote. You can then pair which remote you want to your iMac.

The issue is, until you do that, it states under the option for disabling the IP receiver "This computer will work with any available remote.". Of course this isn't always ideal.

Then, on your Apple TV > Settings > General > Remotes, you can pair the remaining remotes.

To answer your question simply, it seems like yes, you can distinguish between remotes. 🙂

Like I said, can't say how well it works as I haven't got two remotes so haven't distinguished between them as such. But don't see why it shouldn't work like a charm! 🙂

Although I wouldn't have known about this if it wasn't for the genuis of Ferd II!! THANKS SO MUCH FERD II! 🙂 🙂🙂

This has been driving me crazy ever since I got my Apple TV and searching came up fruitless until now! 😁😁

(P.S. Awesome name PokémonFan! YAY FOR POKÉMON! 🙂)

Oct 16, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Ferd II

Excellent suggestion, fixed the problem. However, this has made another, more annoying problem for me.

Since I disabled the remote on my Macbook Pro, my other (non-apple) remotes have stopped working.

E.g. 1 - I have small pop-up bluetooth speakers, which will play music from my iPad, but will no longer change the track or pause the song.

E.g. 2 - I have a bluetooth headset in my car, which my phone will connect to and I can answer calls from my touch screen, but I cannot answer or end calls anymore using the headset itself.

Is there a way to fix these on the iPad/iPhone? I tried re-enabling the remote on my Macbook Pro, but this hasn't helped

Thanks

turn off apple tv remote on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.