Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second monitor flicker on MPB with Thunderbird port

Ever since I got a new MBP with the new thunderbolt port, any monitor I hook up to the port will turn on and off repeatedly for several minutes before becoming stable. The monitor may turn off later, but usually stays stable after it has been connecteda while.

The monitor will drop out, showing the "no signal" text, then even going down to sleep mode (green light turns to yellow).

I took the MBP into the genuis bar and they diagnosed a bad mother board. After it was replaced, the problem stayed the same, so it is not the mother board.

I thought it might be the thunderbolt adapter, but I have two of them and the problem occurs on three different monitors with either ofthe adapters.

The MBP screen is not affected.

😟

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), I7, 8GB, 750GB, Lion

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:52 PM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2012 8:25 AM in response to Knucklesmac

I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor. All 3 are chinese makes. I do have two Thunderbolt to VGA adapters that I use among the monitors. I didn't have this problem with the same monitors and my older MBP with a DVI port on it.

I haven't touched the resolution settings. Today, the monitor at work hasn't skipped a beat (I-INC 25 in). Sometimes, it takes 5 minutes to decide to communicate properly.

Second monitor flicker on MPB with Thunderbird port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.