Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook/Mountain Lion incompatibility

There are so many people having problems with FaceTime and Messages that I decided to add my experience to perhaps move the ball a little. I have successfully used FaceTime from my iMac under Snow Leopard and from my iPad. I am still able to use them that way because I have Snow Leopard (SL) installed on an external disk and can start up from that disk. I am not able to use FaceTime under my recently installed Mountain Lion (ML). The problem is the same as everyone else’s, an error message telling me to check my internet connection. It works under SL but not under ML. Same hardware, same internet settings. I have tried all of the suggestions offered on the various threads including reinstalling ML. Nothing has worked so far in spite of the fact the experts are doing the best they can. So, the problem lies either with ML or the apps. Since two apps are experiencing the same problem, that indicates to me the problem lies with ML. If that’s the case, the problem can only be solved by Apple in a future version. It would be interesting to hear from users who have been successful using FaceTime under ML.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2GB Core, 320GB Internal, 1TB Ext

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:14 AM

I have been using facetime with my son (he has an iMac with Mountain Lion) and my wife (she has an iPad). My machine is a late 2011 Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion.

No problems at all.

Worked before my upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion, and has worked fine afterwards also.

4 replies

Dec 23, 2012 9:31 AM in response to Phil Langlotz1

There are so many suggestions offered to solve the FaceTime problem that I thought I would add my current experience. I took my iMac to the apple store and they found no solution. Their last effort was to reinstall Mountain Lion (ML). It didn't solve the problem. I opened a case with apple and worked with them for about two hours on the phone to explore possible solutions. Finally a system dump of the internal data was taken after an attempt to sign on to FaceTime. The data was sent to Apple and a team analyzed it. They discovered that my computer's logic board had not been serialized. Back to the Apple store where they serialized the logic board. FaceTime now works. This may not be a solution for you but it might lead to other ideas. Merry Christmas.

Facebook/Mountain Lion incompatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.