Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import into Aperture in the yyyy/mm/dd format?

For years I have been importing photos from my Canon with EOS Utility in the yyyy/mm/dd format. I have successlully imported this whole file structure into Aperture....using Import<files as folders.

But I cannot get Aperture to import into this file structure from my camera automatically. How do I set this up? It seems ridiculously complicated to me.

Surely I am not the first person in the world to want to organize photos by date shot?????

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 3:11 AM

I have successlully imported this whole file structure into Aperture....using Import<files as folders.

Do you mean "Import > Folders as projects"?

You cannot do it with the basic "Import" settings, but you could add an Apple Script at import. Frank Caggiano's script might do exactly what you want, see: Re: Importing into projects in Aperture: Date format?

Frank, how about turning these scripts into a User Tip, please? 🙂

Regards

Léonie

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2012 3:11 AM in response to Davidatthepoint

I have successlully imported this whole file structure into Aperture....using Import<files as folders.

Do you mean "Import > Folders as projects"?

You cannot do it with the basic "Import" settings, but you could add an Apple Script at import. Frank Caggiano's script might do exactly what you want, see: Re: Importing into projects in Aperture: Date format?

Frank, how about turning these scripts into a User Tip, please? 🙂

Regards

Léonie

Dec 12, 2012 8:34 AM in response to léonie

Thankyou Leonie,

Sorry, I did mean 'folders as projects'. Here is my file structure.....very basic....folder<year>....folder<month>....project<day>

This is not allowing me to insert a sheenshot for some reason, but the project name for each day is simply '13' for example instaed of 2012-04-13 as in Frank's example. But other than that, our file structures are the same.

If I shoot for a couple of weeks that bridges 2 months for example, does this script download last months photos into last months (already existing) folder, creating and naming new projects for each day........then create and name this month's folder and create and name the days as projects?

I have to say that I find it fairly curious that Aperture needs a kind contributor like Frank to write this whole Apple script thing to do what the download utilities from Canon, Nikon and most other manufacturers do automatically.

I feel like I must be missing something incridably obvious or is it really very unusual to want your photos in chronological order??

How do I import into Aperture in the yyyy/mm/dd format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.