Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11: 1080p movie doesn't come with SD?

I've bought several movies from the iTunes Store in 1080p, and they've always come with an SD copy that worked on my iPhone 4. Additionally, I was always able to get the 720p version as well by changing my download preference to 720p and clicking the cloud icon in the Purchased section of the store. This way, I had the 1080p version for my MacBook Pro, the 720p version for my Apple TV 2, and the SD version for my iPhone 4. Yesterday, however, I purchased The Dark Knight Rises on iTunes 11, and it only downloaded the 1080p version, not even the SD version. Are the SD versions no longer provided with HD downloads? I also noticed that I'm no longer able to download the 720p version by changing my download preference, it still shows as "downloaded" on the Rurchased page. And yes, I do realize my iPhone 4 can play the 720p versions, but they take up way too much space and the difference is hardly noticable unless I'm using AirPlay.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 750GB Seagate Momentus XT

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:46 PM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2013 6:23 PM in response to NeilT6

If you want to download the SD version:

Go to iTunes Store > Purchased > Movies > Uncheck "Download HD When Available" on the bottom right, and you'll see the movie file sizes change from about 3-4 GB to 1-2 GB. Click the download button.

I don't know if 720 is available anymore. I think you have to grab the 1080p version, which is better anyway when you're not dealing with a mobile device.

iTunes 11: 1080p movie doesn't come with SD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.