Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I restore my iPhone via iTunes, does it erase the firmware too? Will my current firmware version(v5.1.1) remain untouched if I choose to restore my iPhone using iTunes?

As stated above, I simply want to know if using the 'restore' function via iTunes on my iPhone will kill off the current firmware version I have. That or whether it will force me to take the latest update, which would be a royal pain given my connection.

And in case anyone is wondering, the iPhone is still mine, I don't intend to sell it or anything so the "erase and reset" feature is not what I need. I simply want to erase all data on my iPhone, while conserving its firmware - are there any alternatives for this?

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:13 PM

A Restore will Install the Latest Version of iOS for your Device.

8 replies

Dec 11, 2012 10:21 PM in response to Onz Appleseed

A Restore will install whatever the latest iOS version is available for your iPhone, but I am confused... if you do not want to "erase all content and settings" then why do you want to restore?

... the "erase and reset" feature is not what I need. I simply want to erase all data on my iPhone, while conserving its firmware

"Erase all content and settings" erases securely but leaves iOS firmware intact. It seems that doing so accomplishes this goal. Am I missing something?

Dec 12, 2012 9:08 AM in response to John Galt

OK, chances are I got a few things mixed up - I thought "erase and reset" restored the phone to factory settings, restoring firmware to its original version as well, but I confused a few things. My mistake.

But from what I've gathered, "erase and reset" wipes out data such as contacts and settings but leaves installed apps intact along with firmware. I want a complete wipe of all data, including apps and mods, leaving only the firmware intact. But perhaps I should give it a shot anyway, since the potential loss of data isn't an issue for me.

Actually the main reason I don't want to use a restore is that my connection would make downloading that huge update problematic...

Dec 12, 2012 9:55 AM in response to Onz Appleseed

Onz Appleseed wrote:

... But from what I've gathered, "erase and reset" wipes out data such as contacts and settings but leaves installed apps intact along with firmware.

The KB article explaining that is easily misunderstood. The "installed apps" that will remain are those that were included with the iPhone and cannot be erased anyway. The apps you installed via App Store will be erased.

If I restore my iPhone via iTunes, does it erase the firmware too? Will my current firmware version(v5.1.1) remain untouched if I choose to restore my iPhone using iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.