Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 burning HOT after battery swap and now draining fast

Hello,

I'm a DIY'er and very cheap. This is my first blog post ever. Excuse my unawareness. iphone out of warranty.

Problem: My iphone burns hot when charging or when the screen is on.

Cause: I was replacing a screen on my SISTERS iphone, used my own personal battery in my iphone to boot her phone to make sure i didnt buy a dud.

But keep in mind both were ATT iphone 4 models. Both with the same IOS.

I've replaced a screen before no problem. BUT this time the phone wouldnt fire up. So to make sure I didnt buy a dud, i removed the battery from my personal phone, placed it in my SISTERS iphone and bam it worked. Yay! Her iphone is working. So i removed my battery and reassembled her phone with her battery. Still working just fine.

Now my phone is in need of repair. This is what i get for trying to help. Again, my iphone burns hot only when charging or when the screen is on. Battery is depleted in 1.5hrs.

FAILED Attempts to fix by:

Re-seatting the battery 10x plus.

Swapped batterries several times again.

Tried reconditioning.

Blew air on the charging pins.

Tried all the disable/delete mail accounts, icloud, restrictions, even airplane mode.

Reset Network settings, then tried All settings, then tried erase all and restored with a NEW setup, no backups.

Upgraded to IOS 6.0.1.

Now im just going to completely disassemble/reassemble my phone out of desperation.

I think all that may be left is possibly i caused a short. My iphone screen has two hairline cracks, but un-noticable by touch and also touch is working 100%. I think maybe somehow the screen is now causing the iphone to overwork itself. IDK how bcuz i lived with these 2 cracks for abt a year now till the recent battery swap.

Im undecided if i should try my sisters screen on my phone, bcuz i dont want anymore problems.

I dont want to buy a new phone. Any help would be much appreciated.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1, 2 hairline cracks on screen.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:05 PM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2012 7:04 AM in response to Tx_Grindhouse

Apple won't touch it now. You're either going to have to figure out what you broke and fix it, find a competent repair shop, or buy a new phone.

Most reports of exploding phones, fires, and leaking batteries can be traced directly to botched repairs. If you phone is heating up as you describe, I would advise you immediately remove it to a safe place and stop using it. It's now a fire/safety hazard.

Dec 12, 2012 11:17 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you Tim for your concerns. I disassembled and reassembled my iPhone last night. Carefully inspecting the ribbons, contacts, looked for loose screws, pinched ribbons, bent or dirty contacts on the ribbons. Everything checked out fine. So I was ready to give up, but then....

I had the idea to re-connect all the ribbons except for the two that power the LCD and digitizer. Laid the phone flat on its face with the back cover off. Re-iterating to myself to be aware of the electrical dangers. Held the sleep button for abt 5-7 seconds to let it power up. My thoughts were, if it doesn't get hot with these detached it's got to be the cracked screen. About 1 minute later I plugged it the wall charger, again very carefully avoiding the electrical dangers. I felt the phone vibrate so I confirmed it was on. Let it sit for 5mins. Checked it again, and what do you know it wasn't hot! Previously, having the phone on the charger for even 5mins would start to burn but not anymore. Figured, might was well get the screen cheapskate. But then... Haha<<<<

I decided to disconnect the power, reattach all the ribbons, and assemble completely. Just had to make sure it was still getting hot because of the screen. To my surprise and grateful thank you's to the BIG MAN my phone was back to normal. No more hot phone or fast draining battery. Cool as ice. So my issue is SOLVED!!!

Idk what what the actual cause. Could have been the logic board was grounding or touching something when I swapped batteries. Maybe the phone just needed to be completely disconnected from battery for a period of time. Maybe a ribbon wasn't sitting right. Idk but it's working. I've been web surfing for 4hrs and am currently at 35%. #TYJ

iphone 4 burning HOT after battery swap and now draining fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.