Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my launchpad work?

Hey, my launchpad won't work on my Mountain Lion MacBook Pro. Whenever I click on a folder or app in launchpad after opening it, launchpad disappears and I am back to my desktop.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:07 AM

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try the action that you're having trouble with again. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into a message.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2012 7:07 AM in response to kishanfromfl

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try the action that you're having trouble with again. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into a message.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Dec 12, 2012 5:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

I did what you said, tried clicking on Launchpad, and nothing happened on Console. However, after trying to quit and relaunch Launchpad in Activity Monitor, I saw something called launchd, which I thought was Launchpad but as it turns out it was the Launch Daemon, so after quitting it my face was like 😮😕⚠. After restarting my omputer after it faded to a gray screen where all I could do was move my mouse, Launchpad worked. So, I thank you for helping me lead myself to the solution.

---Kishan Patel---

Why won't my launchpad work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.