Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wiki Service error message (continuous) in OS X Server (ML) 2.2

User uploaded file

I'm getting a continuouas "Error Reading Wiki settings" on my installation of OS X Server. How do I reset those Wiki settings? I do NOT have this service enabled, yet still get errors.

I am using only the minimal services- File Sharing, Profile Manager, Open Directory, MAS Updates (new with 2.2). Here's what the Wiki screen (unenabled) shows. The error pops up whenever the Server is running.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, (3,1) 3GB RAM, 2GHz, C2D, JBOD Ext.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:17 AM

I was editing collabcore.plist and somehow i broke wiki 4 then it started to error out and no fix... put the original file back in... corrected permissions... restarted... nada.

Not that i encorage you to do this but i had the exact same issue.

I deleted the Server App and redownloaded. I asked me to setup a "new server" and i did using the same settings and name as the old one... it picked up the settings of the old one and wiki is up and running.

I kept my fingers crossed through the ordeal.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2012 4:17 AM in response to HenryS

I was editing collabcore.plist and somehow i broke wiki 4 then it started to error out and no fix... put the original file back in... corrected permissions... restarted... nada.

I deleted the Server App and redownloaded. I asked me to setup a "new server" and i did using the same settings and name as the old one... it picked up the settings of the old one and wiki is up and running.

Dec 13, 2012 4:17 AM in response to HenryS

Hi HenryS,

Re: your message on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4581564?answerId=20580801022#20580801022

I found the best information on what went wrong with my Server upgrade (but not how to fix it!) in Console, under /Library/Logs/PromfileManager/devidemgrd.log

Perhaps there's a log corresponding to Wiki Server there too?

Best wishes, Jon

Message was edited by: Jon G. Hall

Dec 13, 2012 4:53 AM in response to basilmir

basilmir wrote:

Not that it's too important, but exactly what steps did you use to delete Server? Drag to trash?

When installing from the old 2.1 I simply did an install from the MAS download. Perhaps that was my mistake- not deleting the old app first. Use of MAS does not make this intuitive.

H

Dec 13, 2012 4:56 AM in response to Jon G. Hall

Jon G. Hall wrote:

Hi HenryS,

Re: your message on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4581564?answerId=20580801022#20580801022

I found the best information on what went wrong with my Server upgrade (but not how to fix it!) in Console, under /Library/Logs/PromfileManager/devidemgrd.log

Perhaps there's a log corresponding to Wiki Server there too?

Best wishes, Jon

Message was edited by: Jon G. Hall

Thanks, Jon. I will look further at this and report back if anything can be found on Wiki Server. I guess you saw the previous post about un-installing and re-installing Server2.2. Did you try this? Was it successful?

Dec 13, 2012 8:19 AM in response to basilmir

basilmir wrote:

Copy it somewhere else. Then trash the server app. Wait and the mac will display a box informing you the server app is gone and services have stopped. Download the new app from the app store.

Thanks, basilmir. Will try that. In my case, the version 2.2 is presently installed, will remove that (copy to another location off the drive), wait for the message, then reinstall fresh DL from MAS (if they allow that). Otherwise will re-install from web site or saved download of 2.2.

H

Dec 13, 2012 8:44 AM in response to basilmir

basilmir wrote:

Copy it somewhere else. Then trash the server app. Wait and the mac will display a box informing you the server app is gone and services have stopped. Download the new app from the app store.

Tried and did NOT solve the problem. The new server install produced the error immediately after completing the install.

Dec 14, 2012 3:14 AM in response to greenvespa

greenvespa wrote:

I've got the same problem, but I don't want to reinstall Server App because i don't want to lose users (open directory) and mails. I've got "Error reading settings" on Profile Manager and Wiki (Calendar and Messages are OK).

Any others ideas to solve this problem without reinstalling?

The saving of users may not be a problem. All my settings came back using the procedure described by basilmir for me (don't know what will happen for you, but assume the same). Don't know specific procedure to save your settings but assume that a full backup would be the 100% sure way to insure this.

My point though is that the procedure given doesn't fix the problem. I am contacting Apple Support on this. It is possible that I had this problem in a previous install and upgrading did not cure, though did not notice Wiki errors. As stated, I do not use Wiki Server functionality and it is turned off, yet the errors recur. Several other threads exist on this type of issue and it affects several other Server settings as you describe (with Profile Manager) whether enabled or not and it occurs in previous versions too. You would think that Apple would have weighed in on this by now. To date, have seen no KB or official support threads, have you?

Dec 14, 2012 3:37 AM in response to HenryS

For anyone interested in some instruction and info about servers, be advised that Apple moved several documentation links around (even the references in the published documents here give wrong locations).

For manuals on OS X (ML) Server for OS X 10.6.x, check here. Reading the book is sometimes step one.

Hope to gain some knowledge from current manuals on the latest server version (I feel ill at ease with command line operation of Server). I found four manuals listed, however many other bits are referred to in the manuals themselves. Beware that most (all?) reference pages in the manuals have been relocated and are not updated in the manuals. Documentation is rapidly becoming difficult for Server due to the many versions and new features introduced that do not seem to be well supported in documentation. Hmmph!

H

Dec 14, 2012 4:01 AM in response to greenvespa

Open directory and all other service data are stored outside of the server app. They will not be deleted if you delete the app and will pe restored when you add the app back again.

I can't guarantee this since your setup is unique and you are the only person who can take responsability for your actions BUT if you used the UI to make your setup there is 95% chance this is the case. The last 5% are up to the universe to decide. 🙂

Dec 14, 2012 4:12 AM in response to basilmir

basilmir wrote:

Those are old manuals. These are the ones you are looking for.

The OS X Server (Mountain Lion) Advanced Server Administration Guide

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/

Yes, thanks (had it confused with Snow Leopard 10.6). Still has old stuff though, like about monitoring XServes with an app...? Perhaps because you can still use with XServe? I would love a GUI interface. Sadly that no longer exists.

H

Wiki Service error message (continuous) in OS X Server (ML) 2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.